• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What book to get?

Crothian

First Post
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
Is there much duplication ( in theme at least ) for the various templates in these books? I own advanced beastairy, and have heard some good things about DBoT, but I'm not sure how much ADDItional utility it will provide.

I haven't done a side by side comparison but I didn't notice much duplication in reading them

JoeGKushner

First Post
Crothian said:
I haven't done a side by side comparison but I didn't notice much duplication in reading them

Some themes are duplicated but the general mechanics are not. The apocalypse creature in Deluxe Book of Templates for example, seems much more powerful than that found in the Advanced Bestiary.

Simplicity

Explorer
MM3 is a great book. There's a lot of monsters in there that make you go: "COOL..."
I keep looking at Lords of Madness, but I haven't gotten around to buying it yet.
It also looks like quality work though, and I know it's gotten good reviews.

I haven't heard much about Advanced Bestiary.

Jolly Giant

First Post
Scorpionfolke said:
hey guys thanks for all the input:)---i have narrowed it down (somewhat;)) to MMIII or LoM---

I'd strongly recommend LoM! Great book; almost as good as Draconomicon! :D

I've never used aberrations much in my campaigns, but after reading LoM I got the inspiration for several long campaings revolving around them! :cool:

Valmiras

Explorer
LoM

Don't have either of the other two, but I am really enjoying LoM. It's a great read even if you don't use any of it in your campaign.

Psion

Adventurer
Scorpionfolke said:
hey guys thanks for all the input:)---i have narrowed it down (somewhat;)) to MMIII or LoM---

Let this be a last ditch admonition for Advanced Bestiary. MMIII's concepts are not gripping IMO and it is riddled with errata. LoM is a more interesting book, but genreally, AdB is more of workhorse and has great ideas all its own.

Remove ads