• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What book would you like to see become a movie/mini-series?

Ryujin

Legend
A proper Neuromancer adaptation would be amazing. That being said, I wonder if the time for it has passed. If it would suffer the same fate as John Carter, where the source of so many sci-fi tropes looked derivative because of all the movies that had come out drawing inspiration from it.

At the same time, a lot of the deeper messages and themes are more relevant than ever, so maybe not?
I'd be happy just to get a faithful "Johnny Mnemonic" movie. "Killed by culture shock" is just too good to not make it to film.

EDIT - I just mentioned the "Warlord of Mars" thing on a Facebook geek forum, this morning.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'd be happy just to get a faithful "Johnny Mnemonic" movie. "Killed by culture shock" is just too good to not make it to film.

EDIT - I just mentioned the "Warlord of Mars" thing on a Facebook geek forum, this morning.
Never heard of it. Who is the author?

Yeah, though I still love the "I WANT ROOM SERVICE!" monologue of the movie. It's so perfectly absurd and vapid.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
A proper Neuromancer adaptation would be amazing. That being said, I wonder if the time for it has passed. If it would suffer the same fate as John Carter, where the source of so many sci-fi tropes looked derivative because of all the movies that had come out drawing inspiration from it.

At the same time, a lot of the deeper messages and themes are more relevant than ever, so maybe not?
I agree that a lot of the messages are more relevant than ever. But sadly you are probably right, the og cyberpunk is a passé genre to investors and a younger audience.

But I still want it, darnit, even if I reluctantly accept that Johnny Mnemonic is the best we will get from older Gibson material.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Larry Niven’s & Steven Barnes’ Dream Park novels would be good.

Niven also has a bunch of stories and novels in his Known Universe setting that could easily support a sprawling series.

TheHand

Adventurer
I saw it got mentioned earlier, but I'm casting another vote for Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber as a short series. I think Streaming is the perfect venue for it, and the technology is there to do some of the more fantastic sequences.

Other positives for Streaming: Good mix of lower budget scenes (such as those on 'modern' Earth) that break up the medieval wars and reality shifting 'hell rides'; potential for a great ensemble cast in which the audience will be constantly guessing is trustworthy; speaking of whom, lots of gray-area motivations for the protagonists; and a pretty satisfying conclusion at the end!

Of course, following current trends, if it were to happen, we'd get a great season 1 very faithful to the series. Season 2 would try to adapt the more complicated/less crowd pleasing "Merlin" books, and then with the premature passing of Zelazny, the writers would fumble around trying to make up a Season 3. But if prediction 1 were met, I'd still take it! :LOL:

Remove ads