D&D (2024) What can WotC do in OneD&D to make the DM's Guide worth buying?

delericho

Legend
Oh right, that is a good point.
I was not intending for it to be a closed off portion from the playerbase, rather the way I imagined it, the source material be it videos and tables should be accessible the same way the basic PHB is accessible for public consumption.
Really educating people how to play the game should not be something worth monetizing as well as wasting space in the book for. And most of the tables are really just updated tables of previous editions, they should be free.
We shouldn't be paying for names like we did in Xanathar's. These tools should just be made available for all.

Does that work for you or is there another reason I'm perhaps missing here?
Probably.

My issue is that I play in an environment with restricted access to the web. So if there's anything that's needed during play and is on D&DB or wizards.com, or a lot of other places, then I'm stuck. (It's also why electronic books in any format other than PDF don't work for me.)

But things like "how to play" videos or tools for preparing the game are things I can access in other locations. So that would be fine (for me).

Probably.

My issue is that I play in an environment with restricted access to the web. So if there's anything that's needed during play and is on D&DB or wizards.com, or a lot of other places, then I'm stuck. (It's also why electronic books in any format other than PDF don't work for me.)

But things like "how to play" videos or tools for preparing the game are things I can access in other locations. So that would be fine (for me).
Yeah, I'm imagining the tables could always be printed and put in a flip-file of sorts.
I mean they'd only really update them when necessary, not every month or so.
If we could save a good 20-30 pages this way but also provide more content for DMs (online, which tools can be printed), it is a win-win for all.
Now with that available 20-30 pages we could really go to town on that option/modular category.

pogre

Legend
What would be useful would be a model form for players to fill out on their preferences and expectations for a D&D campaign followed by a series of suggestions about how to create a campaign that will align with players' preferences and expectations. Perhaps going further in depth with a complete example of campaign creation and play.

A new DMG MUST include lots of advice for online play. I only play in person these days, but even I recognize online play is a major segment, if not majority, of D&D play these days.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
What would be useful would be a model form for players to fill out on their preferences and expectations for a D&D campaign followed by a series of suggestions about how to create a campaign that will align with players' preferences and expectations. Perhaps going further in depth with a complete example of campaign creation and play.

A new DMG MUST include lots of advice for online play. I only play in person these days, but even I recognize online play is a major segment, if not majority, of D&D play these days.
This is a good point. Assuming the DMG has advice on game prep, it needs to include how(/if) that is different for virtual game prep.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Given the WotC is investing in its own VTT, I would be surprised if they don't at least give a brief mention to VTTs. But I would hope their treatment will be more fulsome than that and cover non-VTT and VTT-lite options. I've run online games that are "VTT heavy" (Foundry, Fantasy Grounds, Roll20), "VTT lite" (Role), sans-VTT but with game tools (Discord with D&D Beyond's Avrae Discord Bot and/or dice rolling bots), and just using video-conferencing platforms (Google Meet, Zoom). All were fun with some changes to how you run the game (tactical battlemap vs theater of the mind). From the many posts I've seen here and elsewhere, especially during COVID, lot's of people are looking for tips on running games online. It would be helpful to many if the DMG had a few pages comparing different ways of running the game online.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Given the WotC is investing in its own VTT, I would be surprised if they don't at least give a brief mention to VTTs. But I would hope their treatment will be more fulsome than that and cover non-VTT and VTT-lite options. I've run online games that are "VTT heavy" (Foundry, Fantasy Grounds, Roll20), "VTT lite" (Role), sans-VTT but with game tools (Discord with D&D Beyond's Avrae Discord Bot and/or dice rolling bots), and just using video-conferencing platforms (Google Meet, Zoom). All were fun with some changes to how you run the game (tactical battlemap vs theater of the mind). From the many posts I've seen here and elsewhere, especially during COVID, lot's of people are looking for tips on running games online. It would be helpful to many if the DMG had a few pages comparing different ways of running the game online.
Good point about WOTC' D&D VTT plans. I seem to recall reading somewhere that they plan to have PDFs available for all their books starting with the new "edition", so it would make sense to have a lot of hyperlinks in those to instructional videos, samples of play, printables, etc.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Good point about WOTC' D&D VTT plans. I seem to recall reading somewhere that they plan to have PDFs available for all their books starting with the new "edition", so it would make sense to have a lot of hyperlinks in those to instructional videos, samples of play, printables, etc.
This would increase the likelihood that I'd pick it up. If I could get this as a PDF (and not as something linked to another account that'd I'd have to use to read it) I likely would pick it up. I would be surprised if this happened, but it would be a pleasant surprise.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Really! they have been very anti PDF in the past and with DnDBeyond I see little reason for them to change.

delericho

Legend
Really! they have been very anti PDF in the past and with DnDBeyond I see little reason for them to change.
What's odd about that is that they only seem to be anti-PDF for the current edition - obviously, there are vast numbers of PDFs of old edition materials on DM's Guild.

Certainly (from my point of view at least) if they were to release the 2024 version in PDF format, that would be a very pleasant surprise.

It's a serious question. The "Big Three" books of D&D have always been the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and the Dungeon Master's Guide. The DM's Guide has always sounded like it is really important, but I don't think it has ever been an essential text in any version of D&D, aside from being where we hide the magic items (for some reason).

So what can actually make this book worth buying and reading, while remaining true to the basic 5e toolkit?
4th Edition's DMG doesn't even has magic itens in it (they are in the PHB) and it's arguably the best DMG ever.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases