• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What characters are you thinking about running?

Graf

Explorer
I am 100% sure that the release of the "super cool" swordmage is designed to deal with the everyone-plays-a-striker thing.

Swordmage dueling would be interesting... A well designed defender character would get blown away by someone who buikt for dps.

You could all be from the jade kingdom where your families ruled before the drogonborn seized power. Easily explains a flood of disenfranchised sword weilding hot-headed types. People could make up different families

Not that you have to or anything but the that element was added with this scenario in mind. Since nobody is even from the jade kingdom we could even dump the OA styling if people aren't keen.

elecgraystone

First Post
I am 100% sure that the release of the "super cool" swordmage is designed to deal with the everyone-plays-a-striker thing.
My warlock here is my first striker. My other characters are a cleric and a wizard. :D

You could all be from the jade kingdom where your families ruled before the dragonborn seized power. Easily explains a flood of disenfranchised sword weilding hot-headed types. People could make up different families.
Sounds good, where do I sign up! ;)

Atanatotatos

First Post
Oh, and. A Drow Rogue, with all those racial feats... yummy. Train two or three extra skills, take some of those amazing racials, multiclass in darkpact warlock and you're in for the fun...

renau1g

First Post
I'll admit I was quite disappointed by the drow from the PG because there is such a heavy focus on them... I know that Drizzt is popular and now it's cool and popular to play a drow fighting against nature... etc,etc. Still in the FR I can't imagine anywhere (except maybe Silverymoon) where a drow isn't killed on sight...

Graf

Explorer
Eh. I think they did what they could. Instead of being the bestest of the bestest (fantastic swordsmen, peerless wizards, really tough nasty priests, brilliant masterminds who are behind every single evil plot, etc etc etc) they sat down and focused them.

I read the rules as saying: they're sneaky, evil elves. That's it.
NPCs are skirmishers.
PCs will be strikers (rogues or warlocks).

I've just gotten a little peek at the dark 'lock stuff but it looks good. More of a focus on stealth, some spider and darkness flavor.

Somebody who wants to play a good drow dual welding ranger isn't going to get lots of support in the form of strong feats, but his evil rogue buddy will.

[d]--[/d]

I'm biased of course but I like the set-up of the Temple of Night and Day. I think we can have some good (in both senses of the word) drow NPCs.

And if you buy into the implications made in the Imperium background, that the drow/shadar-kai were split off from the Eladrin because they rejected the patriarchy and the drow only became demon worshipers after/because they were exiled and desperately needed a powerful patron, I think the whole thing makes a bit more sense.

Atanatotatos

First Post
It's true, they're very focused, and in a really good way. The feats add to their flavor, and so do the pps. With their fun racial encounters and their effectiveness as charismatic warlocks and rogues drows will be very fun to play. (and after all, an inspiring warlord is not unreasonable at all... that dexterity bonus will help with heavy blades and giving combat advantage over a creature to the whole party is not bad for a leader...)

Erekose13

Explorer
What's the racial breakdown? We seem pretty MM-heavy (not that I mind that, playing a bugbear myself).

So far it looks like this:

Code:
Approved Characters Post	
		C	F	P	Ra	Ro	Wk	Wd	Wi	Totals	
Dragonborn									0
Dwarf										0
Eladrin					1					1
Elf										0
Half-Elf									0
Halfling									0
Human		1	2						2	5
Tiefling									0
Bugbear						1				1
Doppleganger									0
Drow										0
Githyanki						1	1	1	3
Githzerai									0
Gnoll										0
Gnome										0
Goblin										0
Hobgoblin							1		1
Kobold										0
Minotaur	1								1
Orc										0
Shadar-kai									0
Shifter, L				1					1
Shifter, R									0
Warforged						1			1
Totals		2	2	0	2	1	2	2	3	14

Thats 6 Phb races to 8 MM races.
Its also 2 Defenders, 4 Leaders, 5 Strikers, 3 Controllers.

Graf

Explorer
Ere's computer skills are starting to scare me.

Amicus will be a defender if/when he's approved; in fact... he'll also be our first paladin. (Which is so weird... I think the paladin class is awesome, much more fun and flexible, mechanically than the fighter).

Not that he's ready yet...

After human (5) the next most popular race is githyanki (3) which is kinda funny; githzerai are usually much more popular (but no monk yet so). Every other race has one representative though... very even spread.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads