• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What characters are you thinking about running?

elecgraystone

First Post
Cleric blasts (like divine glow) or a multiclass wizard area attack (scorching burst/thunderwave) can help a lot too with the minions. If you don't have any of those, several of the other classes dailies can clear out minions quite well (blinding barrage,armor of agathys, ect.).

And Graf, a TPK was easy in KotS for a melee heavy party. Take a mostly ranged party and it was cake. If you stay close to the xp budget, unlike some *cough* KotS *cough*, and adjust the foe mix to your party, everything should be ok.

covaithe

Explorer
I did a quick count today of the characters in the sandbox by role. Not counting Quagmire, there were 4 leaders, 3 controllers, 3 defenders, and 9 strikers. Roughly three more-or-less balanced parties, heavy on the strikers.

I don't have any particular point, just thought that was vaguely interesting information.

Halford

First Post
I am looking at my first adventure to help me gauge the xp budget system so I've tried to be fairly conservative - though I think there still should be a two or three tough battles. My question is how do giving MM baddies magic items effect things, should I award additional xp or are the items themselves the reward. How about ritual benefits?

I will probably just wing it, but I was wondering if anyone knew the officaial rules?

elecgraystone

First Post
Baddie magic items are normally counted as treasure, either used by the party or sold for 20%. Since we are dealing with brigands, you could always have some of the items be from people in town and we could return them for a rp XP reward (or other reward) instead of the normal treasure I guess. It's up to you really. :D

I'm not sure what you mean by ritual benefits.

garyh

First Post
I did a quick count today of the characters in the sandbox by role. Not counting Quagmire, there were 4 leaders, 3 controllers, 3 defenders, and 9 strikers. Roughly three more-or-less balanced parties, heavy on the strikers.

I don't have any particular point, just thought that was vaguely interesting information.

What's the racial breakdown? We seem pretty MM-heavy (not that I mind that, playing a bugbear myself).

Graf

Explorer
I am looking at my first adventure to help me gauge the xp budget system so I've tried to be fairly conservative - though I think there still should be a two or three tough battles. My question is how do giving MM baddies magic items effect things, should I award additional xp or are the items themselves the reward. How about ritual benefits?

I will probably just wing it, but I was wondering if anyone knew the officaial rules?
There is a special table in the DMG for giving monsters magic items... like if they are at a certain level then they can have the item, but it doesn't actually work for them (because they're so awesome).

I'm explaining it remarkably poorly...

Halford

First Post
renau1g are you still in for the Ebon Mirror game?

And thanks for the responses regarding items guys, I'll check out the DMG. As for Ritual benefits I mean things like if a foe has water walking or some such.

garyh

First Post
Yes, but I (or rather my PC) haven't yet been approved. Shall I still post there without approval?

You can enter the tavern with an unapproved character, and can even go on adventures. You just can't recieve XP until your PC is approved.

Remove ads