• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What characters are you thinking about running?

Halford

First Post
Wery intevesting. I am thinking Halfling Paladin for my next PC, curse you one character rule! Ehem.

Well I think Githzerai were more popular in 3.5 because they were mechanically stronger, that +6 dex made them extremely viable for certain builds. In 4.0 it seems that Githyanki are marginally superior to Githzerai, albeit by only a hairs breadth.

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
Ah. And let's not forget that githyanki will make great shielding swordsmages (there's a feat in frpg that allows swordsmages to roll basic melee with INT...a heroic feat)

Dunamin

First Post
Ah. And let's not forget that githyanki will make great shielding swordsmages (there's a feat in frpg that allows swordsmages to roll basic melee with INT...a heroic feat)
Actually, the swordmage also makes a pretty perfect fit for githyanki flavor-wise, especially if you tune the fluff just slightly. Both the classical githyanki psionic warrior and gish combine martial skill with mental prowess, and the race generally favors heavy blades as their choice of weapon (a silver sword is sort of their trademark).

elecgraystone

First Post
I also had noticed our being light on defenders. (Which I why I had been thinking of a defender if second characters are allowed in the future.) For me the only reason I picked Githyanki over Githzerai in that I can use both Githyanki stats as a warlock but the +2 wisdom and dex from Githzerai would have been a waste unless I went ranger. The races seem pretty even with each other, it all depends what class you play.

For me, neither of the base defenders really excite me much. Nothing seems wrong with them, they just don't do it for me. With the new swordmage I'm now interested in trying out a defender. :p

Phoenix8008

First Post
I don't know yet what I would play for my next character. Maybe a Dragonborn. I really wish they had Monks. I miss my Monks. I know I can use the stuff on the WOTC site to kinda convert something into one using another class, but its not the same. Not to mention that it likely wouldn't be allowed here. Really sucks that they aren't doing psionics or Monks on PHBII.

elecgraystone

First Post
The monk on the WOTC site was pretty cool actually. It was based on ranger and turned your unarmed attacks into +3, d8, offhand weapons. You also get a +3 class AC but can only wear cloth armors. Lets see... Oh yeah, a +2 will , lose prime shot and skills changed.

It seemed pretty balanced at low levels at least. The only issue I had with it was the lack of enhancements to unarmed attacks as the character leveled. The character would lag behind unless they picked up a weapon and then what's the point of being a monk? The only thing I came up with was either inventing new magic for them (magic hand wraps or the like) or letting them target a different defense. (When a character could get a +2 they could target con, a +4 ref, a +6 will usable wisdom bonus times an encounter) I never got a chance to test it out though.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Actually, the swordmage also makes a pretty perfect fit for githyanki flavor-wise, especially if you tune the fluff just slightly. Both the classical githyanki psionic warrior and gish combine martial skill with mental prowess, and the race generally favors heavy blades as their choice of weapon (a silver sword is sort of their trademark).

There's more: "gish" is a term that originally indicated a githyanki practicioner of both swords and magic...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads