• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What class can you not bring yourself to play?

Perun

Mushroom
I like all arcane spellcasters. I think the sorcerer's mechanically just fine, although he could do with a bit more flavour. Bards are a good class, and really don't have to depend on the minstrel stereotype.

I also like monks (although I'd only play LN ones). They don't fit in mediaeval Europe, but FR, GH and Eberron aren't mediaeval Europe, so no problems there.

I've played (and still play) a druid, in underdark settings, dungeons, city-based adventures, and in wilderness, and I haven't had any problems in any of those. Most of my druid's career (9th-level, after a level loss because of dying and being reincarnated as a gnome) he was without animal companion, and I can't say I noticed it. I'm thinking of getting a goat now ;)

Rogues and rangers both appeal to me for their high number of skill points (and you can never have too many of those :)), but if I had to choose one, I'd go with ranger because of his spellcasting.

I don't like barbarians (although I respect the amount of damage they can do in a round, they're a one-trick pony if there ever was one) and paladins (LG is just not my thing). I find clerics terribly boring and devoid of flavour.

fusangite

First Post
A lot depends on setting. Given the correct setting I could see myself playing almost any class. Except the Ranger -- the spell-casting two-fisted wildernazi is too much of an incoherent jumble for me to enjoy the character's advancement process. And if you're not into that, what good is a class to you?

But rangers aside, I could handle any class, although the fighter is dangerously bland and the monk and barbarian, dangerously setting-specific.

Gez

First Post
Bard. Not that I dislike the class, but I always overlook it when thinking up of new characters.

The least interesting, for me, was barbarian, but I had a fun idea for one in a Gestalt PbP.

You'll notice highest stat is... Int.

raineym

Explorer
gothmog said:
Bard- I can't stand the bard. Nancing, froo-froo, music as magic...BLAH. And I can't figure out how to make a compelling bard character that would actually have a good reason go out and adventure- they seem much better suited to non-combat courtly or political intrigue sorts of scenarios.

I hate the bard too, but the only bard I've been able to play was a 2E Blade from The Complete Bard's Handbook. He made one hell of a housebreaker.

Meadred

First Post
Chalk one up for the monk! I've never been comfortable with the monk, even though I tried one in AD&D 1st Ed. They stick out like a sore thumb in most medieval-type campaigns, and they have too many weird class abilities.

Also, I have a hard time liking the core class paladin. Clerics could fill that position well enough.

I find it interesting that barbarian is a core class. Being a barbarian has more to do with your background and upbringing than your ability to fight and fling into a great rage. Barbarian would be much more suited to be a template.

Well, just my $ .02.

Cheers,
Meadred

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I have a hard time bringing myself to play fighters. Paladins I can play, maybe even a ranger but fighters are just so bland on their face (sure with the right personality, anything can be fun) but if there is anything I hate its getting 'stuck' with the fighter at a con or something.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
The Druid.

Their ethos struck me as being rather insular and detached from civil society, sort of telling people how to act but not being practical. One of my happiest moments as a player was when my Paladin "mistakenly" hacked a coven to pieces. DM even said I didn't have to atone :) - we were 14?

Really though, I don't have any issues with what my players want to play. I try to make even the Bard a worthy choice.

spatha

First Post
1.Bard any other than 1e verison. Loved the 1e version.
2.Cleric no walking band aid for me.
3.Ranger any other than 1e version(class that definatley lost its flavour with each subsequent edition)

dreaded_beast

First Post
I'll play anything just to play, but I wouldn't want to play a bard.

I don't like the concept of the bard flavor-wise and I don't like the class abilities mechanics-wise. I just can't see an entertainer (what I envision the bard to ultimately be) going out and adventuring.

Although, playing devil's advocate, I've always thought, in my opinion, that the Mariachi from El Mariachi, Desperado, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico as an excellent example of an adventuring bard with a great backstory to explain why he is adventuring in the first place.

Remove ads