D&D 5E What class is your first 5e character?

Which class will you play first?

• Barbarian Beserker

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Barbarian Totem Warrior

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Bard of the College of Lore

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Bard of the College of Valor

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Cleric of Death (will be in the DMG)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric of Knowledge

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Cleric of Life

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Cleric of Light

• Cleric of Nature

• Cleric of Tempest

• Cleric of Trickery

• Cleric of War

• Druid of the Circle of the Land

• Druid of the Circle of the Moon

• Fighter - Champion

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Fighter - Battle Master

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Fighter- Eldritch Knight

• Monk of the Way of the Open Hand

• Monk of the Way of the Shadow

• Monk of the Way of the Four Elements

• Paladin sworn to the Oath of Devotion

• Paladin sworn to the Oath of the Ancients

• Paladin sworn to the Oath of Vengeance

• Ranger - Hunter

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Ranger - Beast Master

• Rogue - Thief

• Rogue - Assassin

• Rogue - Arcane Trickster

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Sorcerer of a Draconic Bloodline

• Sorcerer of Wild Magic

• Warlock with an Archfey patron

• Warlock with a Fiend patron

• Warlock with a Great Old One patron

• Warlock with a pact of the Chain

• Warlock with a pact of the Blade

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Warlock with a pact of the Tome

• Wizard of the School of Abjuration

• Wizard of the School of Conjuration

• Wizard of the School of Divination

• Wizard of the School of Enchantment

• Wizard of the School of Evocation

• Wizard of the School of Illusion

• Wizard of the School of Necromancy

• Wizard of the School of Transmutation

• Undecided

• I plan to DM

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • Not playing or running 5e, but polls are nifty

• Poll closed .

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I submitted this poll before, but as some felt it expired too soon, I promised I'd do it again for those just getting the Player's Handbook. So here it is again. As before, if you're voting warlock, vote for which patron and also which pact, but otherwise only select multiple options if you're planning to multiclass.

Champion Fighter all the way. Backgrounds are the real gem of this edition to me. I don't know how many characters I wanted to build in the last 20 years that were, essentially, fighters with more specific skill sets. The background mechanic allows just that. I suspect that the amount of fighters I'm going to play in the years to follow will increase (if that's possible at all!).

kerleth

Explorer
Completely agree with the comment on backgrounds.. Absolutely love the freedom of character design that the background system brings, especially with the flat out core assumption of tweaking them to taste. My group had abandoned the idea of class skills in 3.X a LOOONG time ago for precisely this reason. I did some theorycrafting and realized that I could make a 2nd level fighter that could
1) scout with or in place of the rogue (really helpful with the group skill check rules)
2) find a trap on a door, disarm it, and then pick the lock on the door
3) block an attack against the squishy wizard (shield fighting style)
4) deal good damage
5) nova to do double damage via action surge (more than a 1st level wizard spell)
6) take a hit then heal it back via second wind

Aaaannnnd then take a short rest. I'm not saying he does everything better than everyone, but that he is COMPETENT in multiple areas right off the bat. Pure awesome.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Completely agree with the comment on backgrounds.. Absolutely love the freedom of character design that the background system brings, especially with the flat out core assumption of tweaking them to taste. My group had abandoned the idea of class skills in 3.X a LOOONG time ago for precisely this reason. I did some theorycrafting and realized that I could make a 2nd level fighter that could
1) scout with or in place of the rogue (really helpful with the group skill check rules)
2) find a trap on a door, disarm it, and then pick the lock on the door
3) block an attack against the squishy wizard (shield fighting style)
4) deal good damage
5) nova to do double damage via action surge (more than a 1st level wizard spell)
6) take a hit then heal it back via second wind

Aaaannnnd then take a short rest. I'm not saying he does everything better than everyone, but that he is COMPETENT in multiple areas right off the bat. Pure awesome.

I love this versatility too as a DM because it means I can have smaller groups of players without feeling that something is missing.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Oh, man, this is the most excited I've been about Bards since Ultimate Combat for Pathfinder.

Bard/Wizard, baby. All the way.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My first 5e character is, like many of my characters, a little ridiculous, but played straight.

Minotaur bard in Dragonlance. He's a romantic type.

He's eventually skewing toward the College of Valour, I believe, because I don't see him as a brilliant and cunning seeker of lore as much as I see him as a himbo, something like the cover of a romance novel, but with the head of a bull.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Fiend-pact chainlock in an Al'Qadim-esque homebrew. We're reskinning the familiar into an efreetikin and I'm bound to the Lord of Flame after conning an old wizard out of his magical brass cup.

Can't wait!

Tormyr

Hero
I actually have been DM on a campaign that started in April using the September playtest and transitioned to 5e, but I put the Oath of Devotion Paladin, a character class that has been near and dear to my heart since I first rolled it up in the Baldur's Gate video game in college so many years ago.

I love the versatility that is in 5e. You can put together any mix of race, class and background and contribute to the party. Even the Half-Gnoll Oath of the Ancients Paladin (his father was a druid) in our campaign contributes well even though he has a -1 charisma modifier. He just uses spells that are buffs or strikes.

As for characters that I would be interested in playing if I ever get a chance.
A half-orc barbarian/monk named Banner.
A human female college of lore bard modeled after Saffron from Firefly.
Reviving my playtest paladin.

Remove ads