D&D 5E What classic and/or MTG settings bring something new to the table?

Haplo781

Legend
As it came up in another thread, and I think it's worth spinning off.

Every recent setting book has brought significant new player-facing content (races, subclasses, spells, etc.) or a new genre (swashbuckling, magic school, Greek mythology.)

Based on that, what settings do you consider likely* to come after those announced through 2023?

I can see a Mystara book focused on the Savage Coast for heroic fantasy, badass martials, and epic-level play, for instance. Or a book set in the MtG plane of Eldraine for Arthurian adventures, courtly intrigue, and fairy-tale drama.

What say you?

*Note that the question is not "what do you personally want?"

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I like Dark Sun for that post apocalyptic vibe. A world twisted by magic where magic is feared, and an alternate power source is respected.

The latest Kamigawa set introduces neon punk (not sure if that's thebactual term, but I'm using it), magitech and ancient spirits side by side, I believe it jumped up in popularity as a world considerably with this update. Side note, with the new way backgrounds are created for the DnD update, I wonder if they'll finally include something to represent a planeswalker in a future MtG setting.

Planescape probably gives a similar vibe to spelljammer though instead of new worlds, you explore the various planes of existence.i think they could easily do something like the piety system in Theros to represent the power of belief in your faction. Sigil as the main base with adventures on the planes, sounds like a great time, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Haplo781

Legend
I like Dark Sun for that post apocalyptic vibe. A world twisted by magic where magic is feared, and an alternate power source is respected.

The latest Kamigawa set introduces neon punk (not sure if that's thebactual term, but I'm using it), magitech and ancient spirits side by side, I believe it jumped up in popularity as a world considerably with this update. Side note, with the new way backgrounds are created for the DnD update, I wonder if they'll finally include something to represent a planeswalker in a future MtG setting.

Planescape probably gives a similar vibe to spelljammer though instead of new worlds, you explore the various planes of existence.i think they could easily do something like the piety system in Theros to represent the power of belief in your faction. Sigil as the main base with adventures on the planes, sounds like a great time, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.
I'd love to see a proper psionic class, which is a must for Dark Sun.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd love to see a proper psionic class, which is a must for Dark Sun.
I'd love to see a proper psionic class as well, though I think I've softened my stance on needing it for dark sun. I think if they keep bonus feats at levels 1 and 4 then they can include psionics a feats. So, while I'd still prefer a psionic class, I think I'd be fine with other options to slot psionics into the setting.

I've always wanted an Ikoria monster manual. That set had so many cool as hell creatures in it, I'd love to see them stated up. Ixalan would bring a pirate focus and a lot of dinosaurs. Innistrade would be a good companion to Ravenloft.

As for classic settings, bring back the Nentir Vale. Place was great.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think they missed an opportunity in focusing so hard on WAR for Dragonlance, because Crawford could have leaned into his experience working on Blue Rose to add Romantic Fantasy to D&D.

The battles aren’t even all that interesting, but the death of Sturm satisfies his heroic journey and ends his story in a manner very much in keeping with the Romantic Hero.

Perhaps Eldraine could given them a second chance for that.

That said, I think that new Kamigawa adds some magitech, Ikoria could add monsters as hazardous terrain, Kaladesh could focus on vehicles and devices and improve the vehicle rules.

I think they missed an opportunity in focusing so hard on WAR for Dragonlance, because Crawford could have leaned into his experience working on Blue Rose to add Romantic Fantasy to D&D.
Agree with that. For me, Dragonlance has always been about the big larger-than-life characters, and their drama and love lives and Destiny with a capital D. The war was just kinda backdrop for Tanis's romantic problems, Sturm's inevitable doom, and Raistlin failing to work out his inadequacy issues. But mind you, WotC may have just wanted to do a war-centric setting etc more than they wanted a romance-centric setting, and Dragonlance was the best option available (other than Birthright, and that's a far bigger stretch than even Spelljammer was).

I think Dark Sun would make a good exemplar of a more survivalist setting, with some of the magic that makes wilderness survival and distance travel trivial toned down or removed. Yeah, you'd need psionics too, but survival is the centre of it.

Remove ads