Gate Pass Gazette What content do y'all want from Gate Pass Gazette?

I really like it when games let players get weird. Like the big thing that's been tempting me to get into Pathfinder 2e is that I can play as a giant sentient tarantula, a haunted doll, a cactus, or a gnostic soul animating a tree into a vaguely humanoid form. I'd love weird options like that. I'd also like cultures for those places mostly populated by stranger, non-humanoid creatures. Like if I could play a human who grew up in a city dominated by blind land octopuses who used vents that let out specifically designed scents to function as street signs, I would totally be the weirdo who kept having to close his eyes and take a big, loud sniff to navigate even regular human settlements.

Ideally, weird options would also extend to new archetypes and/or classes. And I kind of like the idea of classes with weird tradeoffs. Like in Pathfinder 1e, there was a type of psychic who got their powers through psychadellics, and at a certain level, they just automatically would force other creatures to make a saving throw if they approached, or else they'd start hallucinating just by being near them, friend or foe. That's such a bizarre and fascinating challenge to add to all future social encounters, though of course you'd want to make sure a group was OK with it before playing that character. And I loved the idea of the PF1e oracle, even if in practice, some curses barely did anything while others were huge hinderances. If you had a mechanic like that for a class, but balanced it a bit better, I'd be all over it.

TheHand

Adventurer
As a Planescape fan, I'd like to see some expanded choices for the Planetouched and some more planar-centric Journeys.

More monsters and additional variations on existing monsters would also be fun.

Also, I'd like to see AE5-takes on other classes/subclasses. I'd love to see what you could do with a Bladesinger-esque subclass, for instance.

SirApetus

Explorer
Personally, what I don't want is an ever-expanding list of player options spread across a million different articles and source books that I have to master in order to have a reasonable chance of anticipating rules interactions and adjudicating rules at my table. I want to limit a campaign or an adventure to a set of core rulebooks and one setting-specific expansion...though judging by what a lot of publishers put out, perhaps I'm in the minority here (I'm looking at you, Pazio!)

But I would be interested in accumulating a library of high-quality, setting-specific content. Thus, my suggestion would be for GPG to pick a theme for each issue and pack it full of LU content specific to one setting or adventure type. Then, if I want to run a swashbuckling campaign, all I'd need are the three core rulebooks and the pirate-themed issue of GPG (complete with pirate-themed heritages, aquatic monsters, nautical exploration challenges, drop-in seafaring factions & npcs, and expanded rules for ship combat). If I want to run a gothic horror, I just need the three core books and the gothic issue of GPG, etc.

I think there's a near-endless stream of potential content here, but from my perspective, the key is for each setting issue or book to be fully self-contained (aside from references to the core books). If some new rule or creature is suited to multiple settings, duplicate it - don't back-reference it!
Well luckily we have the Player Tools website, that presumably would be a source of all this information in one place :)

Strider1973

Explorer
What about versions of "registered" ancestries and races? I mean, there could be Level Up! versions of Kender, for instance? I'd really like to play in the future a Dragonlance campaign with LU, when I buy the books, and I wa just wondering about this.

Strider1973

Explorer
Personally, what I don't want is an ever-expanding list of player options spread across a million different articles and source books that I have to master in order to have a reasonable chance of anticipating rules interactions and adjudicating rules at my table. I want to limit a campaign or an adventure to a set of core rulebooks and one setting-specific expansion...though judging by what a lot of publishers put out, perhaps I'm in the minority here (I'm looking at you, Pazio!)

But I would be interested in accumulating a library of high-quality, setting-specific content. Thus, my suggestion would be for GPG to pick a theme for each issue and pack it full of LU content specific to one setting or adventure type. Then, if I want to run a swashbuckling campaign, all I'd need are the three core rulebooks and the pirate-themed issue of GPG (complete with pirate-themed heritages, aquatic monsters, nautical exploration challenges, drop-in seafaring factions & npcs, and expanded rules for ship combat). If I want to run a gothic horror, I just need the three core books and the gothic issue of GPG, etc.

I think there's a near-endless stream of potential content here, but from my perspective, the key is for each setting issue or book to be fully self-contained (aside from references to the core books). If some new rule or creature is suited to multiple settings, duplicate it - don't back-reference it!
I absolutely agree with this. I'd like having Players' toolkit also about how to play in a low magic campaign, a la Game of Thrones, or in settings in which there's just one kind of magic, be it arcane or divine.

What about versions of "registered" ancestries and races? I mean, there could be Level Up! versions of Kender, for instance? I'd really like to play in the future a Dragonlance campaign with LU, when I buy the books, and I wa just wondering about this.
Not sure it's possible, for copyright reasons

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We did include fearlessness in the halfling traits! Just needs a culture to go with it!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Rules deep dive articles.

have whoever designed a certain rule set (journeys, down time, etc) walk though an explaination of their process for design, intention for play, and maybe some examples of interoperability with other rule sets in the system. Sort of a “from behind the scenes to your table” thing
I've been holding off on this thread because as a GM I'm not versed enough in things to have gone past still learning into knowing what else I want . There's been a few times I started posting "I think I figured it out, I want.." only to realize I'm still not sure of it. This kind of thing like the 3.5 behind the curtain & earlier 2e gygax equivalents would be of huge value.

Remove ads