Gate Pass Gazette What content do y'all want from Gate Pass Gazette?

Faolyn

(she/her)
I want new archetypes to fill in some of the blanks that currently have 05e archetypes, because I think that the LU version would probably be cooler. But I know that there are those synergy feats that kind of mimic some of the o5e archetypes. But I also know that people get so few feats, and when you use point buy/stat array ASIs are important. And I prefer archetypes myself, so... I

Some of the archetypes I want would be spirit-oriented, like the o5e Ancestral Barbarian and Shepherd Druid. But I'd also like to see a spirit-oriented or "small gods" Warlock as well, where the warlock gets their powers from things like nature spirits, genius loci, kami, kachina, or loa. Even a spirit-oriented fighter would be pretty interesting!

Ages ago during the cleric playtest, @vincegetorix brought up other possible cleric archetypes, and I added a few other ideas to the list: Their list included an Invoker (medium armor, call blight and curses; I suggested the name Sin-Eater), a Theurge (no armor, loremastery, rituals), and Anathema (like the 3e Ur-priest). I added the possibility of an Exorcist (effectively a monster hunter) and Preacher (heavy social skills).

For druids, I'd like to see an "anti-druid" in the same vein as the Spores and Wildfire: one that emphasizes the more destructive and death-oriented parts of nature. And rangers could definitely use a monster hunter or planar archetype.

And, of course, I'd like more warlock pacts: why not a dragon-pact, to go with the dragon cultist culture?

VenerableBede

Adventurer
For druids, I'd like to see an "anti-druid" in the same vein as the Spores and Wildfire: one that emphasizes the more destructive and death-oriented parts of nature. And rangers could definitely use a monster hunter or planar archetype.
I would kill for a spores/fungus-themed druid archetype that is an actual druid necromancer (including having animate dead and the like on its spell list), with the spells tweaked so that the undead created were all plant type or something. It's an easy enough thing to homebrew, but I'd be curious to see how interestingly the A5e team could do it, as most of A5e's other archetypes feel very flavorful. (Also, the difficulty with homebrew is it is harder to persuade a DM to allow at the table, so it's just nicer to see things in official print in general.)

Last edited:

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I would kill for a spores/fungus-themed druid archetype that is an actual druid necromancer (including having animate dead and the like on its spell list), with the spells tweaked so that the undead created were all plant type or something. It's an easy enough thing to homebrew, but I'd be curious to see how interestingly the A5e team could do it, as most of A5e's other archetypes feel very flavorful. (Also, the difficulty with homebrew is it is harder to persuade a DM to allow at the table, so it's just nicer to see things in official print in general.)
The Treespeaker makes a passable circle of the spore but you still need to customize your spells for it to really work.

Strider1973

Explorer
The O5e ninja is so good that few people can find it, even though it is in the PHB.
Yeah, Monks of the Way of Shadows, you're absolutely right!
  • I'd like to see also kind of weird heritages, just like Dhampir, Goliaths, Giants, Treants or even Small Dragons (as featured in one of my all time favourite d20 RPG systems), or kind of animated puppets, which I've seen in at least a couple of third party O5e supplements!
  • I'd like also conversion guidelines about how to upgrade existing subclasses, archetypes, classes and the like published by 3rd party companies to be played with O5e. I bought A LOT of cool classes from DMS guild or Drivethru RPG and I'd like to have some hints about how to upgrade them to the general level of power of Level Up Characters. I know, i can give a Healer the Exploration Knacks of the Druid or of the Cleric, but I'd like to have some "official" guidelines in any case.
Happy gaming, Merry Christmas and Happy Life!

Last edited:

Instead of more of the stuff we already have (classes, archetypes, heritages, monsters, adventures, etc) I'd definitely go for stuff we don't have:
completely optional systems and ideas like group magic, non-vancian or freeform magic, magic implements, spellcraft components, psi powers, etc.
...or spaceships.
but seriously, woin or pathfinder words of power style casting as an option would be pretty ballin and might singlehandedly get me to subscribe to the gazette

Legendweaver

Explorer
Personally, what I don't want is an ever-expanding list of player options spread across a million different articles and source books that I have to master in order to have a reasonable chance of anticipating rules interactions and adjudicating rules at my table. I want to limit a campaign or an adventure to a set of core rulebooks and one setting-specific expansion...though judging by what a lot of publishers put out, perhaps I'm in the minority here (I'm looking at you, Pazio!)

But I would be interested in accumulating a library of high-quality, setting-specific content. Thus, my suggestion would be for GPG to pick a theme for each issue and pack it full of LU content specific to one setting or adventure type. Then, if I want to run a swashbuckling campaign, all I'd need are the three core rulebooks and the pirate-themed issue of GPG (complete with pirate-themed heritages, aquatic monsters, nautical exploration challenges, drop-in seafaring factions & npcs, and expanded rules for ship combat). If I want to run a gothic horror, I just need the three core books and the gothic issue of GPG, etc.

I think there's a near-endless stream of potential content here, but from my perspective, the key is for each setting issue or book to be fully self-contained (aside from references to the core books). If some new rule or creature is suited to multiple settings, duplicate it - don't back-reference it!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases