• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What could One D&D do to bring the game back to the dungeon?

Incenjucar

Legend
3rd for clerics. I have never seen a wizard spend the effort necessary to waste a "spells known" slot on continual light, and scrolls weren't guaranteed like in later editions.
We've all never seen a lot of things, I'm sure.

Even if you only have clerics using it as a 3rd level spell, it's a permanent spell. You can just make a bunch of glowing rocks to distribute. First thing I did playing a cleric of sufficient level was to cast it Cont. Light and Cont. Darkness on some metal caps with covers and put them on a rod for easy use in all future adventures.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
We've all never seen a lot of things, I'm sure.

Even if you only have clerics using it as a 3rd level spell, it's a permanent spell. You can just make a bunch of glowing rocks to distribute. First thing I did playing a cleric of sufficient level was to cast it Cont. Light and Cont. Darkness on some metal caps with covers and put them on a rod for easy use in all future adventures.
That doesn't change the fact that it came after a LONG period of working in the dark. Remember it used to take a long time to level if you didn't have a Monty Haul DM. And I think that was intentional. At a certain point, new challenges were expected. The game was supposed to evolve.

Incenjucar

Legend
That doesn't change the fact that it came after a LONG period of working in the dark. Remember it used to take a long time to level if you didn't have a Monty Haul DM. And I think that was intentional. At a certain point, new challenges were expected. The game was supposed to evolve.
So a wizard with Cont. Light has pretty much broken dungeons early.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
So a wizard with Cont. Light has pretty much broken dungeons early.
I'm not sure what your motivation is here. Yes: if a wizard in the party happened to learn continual light, it would change the darkness dynamic. Okay. Does that mean we shouldn't care about light? What's your point?

Incenjucar

Legend
I'm not sure what your motivation is here. Yes: if a wizard in the party happened to learn continual light, it would change the darkness dynamic. Okay. Does that mean we shouldn't care about light? What's your point?
I'm trying to figure out an answer to the OP. It's just constantly ending up "remove primary casters, especially wizards". Maybe also "remove infinite cantrips". It's kind of frustrating that this seems to be the core issue, since that's a huge chunk of classes.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I'm trying to figure out an answer to the OP. It's just constantly ending up "remove primary casters, especially wizards". Maybe also "remove infinite cantrips". It's kind of frustrating that this seems to be the core issue, since that's a huge chunk of classes.
I don't think it is about removing casters, but the cantrip issue is a thing. Making dungeon utility spells cantrips basically obviates those challenges. Cantrips as replacements for thrown daggers is fine, as far as it goes. Cantrips so torches don't matter or so you can open every chest from 30 feet away undermines traditional dungeon exploration.

Incenjucar

Legend
Casters disrupt a lot of obstacles, but certainly limiting how often they can do so is a factor. One of many reasons nothing is permanent anymore, I'm sure.

First off, ask why players and DMs left the dungeon in the first place.
Exactly my point. Given that "going back to the dungeon" is something that people say over and over again, with each new edition if not more frequently, it's obvious that there is a significant plurality that doesn't really like dungeon-delving. Understanding why not is key to answering the question posed in the OP in a meaningful way. Of course, the answer may well be, for that significant plurality, that it doesn't matter what you do; they just aren't interested in dungeons.

Remove ads