D&D (2024) What could OneD&D to bring YOU back to D&D? (+)

leozg

DM
They should try do mix everything from all editions into one, of course the things that were good, trying to blend everything and making optional rules for things that don't work together. Maybe having modules for the things that can't be used together, like 3 skill systems, so your group could choose the one to use.
Not saying it is possible, but this is what would make me excited about the game.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, I haven't left 5E. The one bright line for me is that existing 5E books will still work with the new Core, which seems to be the case based on the playtest UA so far, but tike will tell.

I never adopted 5e and disliked 4e. I really haven't liked WOTC or it's approach to gaming since the 3e era (even 3.5e was a rip off). So I have little intention of picking up 5.5e. The new style of D&D just isn't the sort of game I'm looking for when I roleplay. They didn't address some key concerns when making 5e and that is why I abandoned the game at that time. When I heard about all their fantasy race alignment crap, I felt a distinct satisfaction that I had not bought into their system.
what fantasy race alignment crap?

Emerikol

Adventurer
Politics and Anti-inclusive content.
what fantasy race alignment crap?
Making all game races neutral. So no evil orcs etc... The alignment was never an absolute restriction. Drizz't could exist while still saying Drow are generally evil. Many of the designers are super left wing and they got it in their heads that black people thought they were orcs or something. It's really racist and ridiculous.

No mind you that just confirmed my former decision and was not the impetus for it originally.

Emerikol

Adventurer
They should try do mix everything from all editions into one, of course the things that were good, trying to blend everything and making optional rules for things that don't work together. Maybe having modules for the things that can't be used together, like 3 skill systems, so your group could choose the one to use.
Not saying it is possible, but this is what would make me excited about the game.
I've embraced the Gygaxian truth. He knew there was nothing stopping gamers from just creating their own game. So I can take an existing game and just hack it till it's good. That means I don't start with 5e though. It means I start with a game like Castles and Crusades.

I've long since realized that I am not the person that OneD&D and WotC are marketing to. I have zero interest in any VTT. The majority of my books are physical, not pdf. They would have to publish a book I was interested in, usually developing some rules area (adventuring in the tundra) or presenting an idea and its development that I had not previously consider.

I don't really need more books, and have written three different PHBs for my players already. I don't need them to game ever again.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Clearly, I am not typical in any regard in these discussions. First off, I've never played 5e, in fact the last true D&D I've played is 3.5. I was in the process of publishing a Japanese horror setting, but with 3.5 dead (off the shelves at the time), 4.0 not yet released, I moved to Pathfinder. I've since played, designed and published for Pathfinder and Starfinder. So, I already left. But I am in the process of wrapping up my first D&D 5e Spelljammer supplement intended for publication at One D&D, through the DM's Guild. So I am re-entering D&D on my own, without any encouragement by One D&D, WotC, nor anybody. Not to say, I won't publish more for D&D, perhaps I may expand upon the Wildspace System I've developed for the product, perhaps I may do some one-shots or full modules set there, but I have no plans to stop development of Starfinder which is where I spend most of my design time. I prefer hard sci-fi to science fantasy, and prefer that to Spelljammer fantasy, but I can develop for all.

So there's nothing One D&D can do to attract me, which doesn't matter since I came back on my own to release a publication for it. I am participating, but I probably won't be developing a ton of content, just a dabble or two for now...

Remove ads