• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What counters silence

esorek

First Post
So the cleric in my party can now cast silence which is not that bad. What is bad is that he casts it on the monk who then proceeds to chase the spell casters around preventing them from casting while pummeling them to pieces which IMO is a bit on the cheesy side, to make matters worse through some randomly generated treasure the cleric now has a wand of silence.
So what's the best way to counter silence? I don't want to be cheesy but if they do this too much I want to be able to pull something that will show them they can't relay on a cheese tactic too much.

IceBear

Explorer
Play up on the fact that the monk can't talk, and remember to make sure you track what other PCs are affected at the same time. It could start to become more of a hassle than the party wants to deal with.

The Silent spell feat is a good counter too, though it ends up burning higher spell slots. I'd think most wizards would have a silent dispel magic if this is a common tactic in your world.

IceBear

esorek

First Post
I thought about those but the dispels have a verbal component and AMF and disjunction are way too high level for now.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Song & Silence has a bard spell called Joyful Noise. Its effect is to suppress magical silence within 15' of the caster; anyone within that radius can cast spells normally.

Incidentally, AFAIK this is the only bard spell without a verbal component.

Drawmack

First Post
or the wizard is also a ranger wearing a belt of hill giant strength. When he gets whomped on the back he goes nuts and starts slashing the :):):):) out of the monk, whom he can track because the race just happens to be his favored enemy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads