D&D 5E What CR would you give this legendary monster?

NotAYakk

Legend
1. This creature has 4 different types of attacks. I'd want to showcase that.

As written, it doesn't. That sucks.

Also, Swallow doesn't work with multiattack.

2. I like the LR involving dropping a creature.

So first I'd modify it.

Give it 4 legendary actions, which are ... all tentacle attacks. (4 tentacles? Get it?)

Maybe have a subsystem where it loses tentacles. A legendary resist can lose a tentacle!

As it loses tentacles, it starts to frenzy.

Multiattack being a bite and a tail smash is good. But I might also add in a tentacle there as well; 1 of each.

"The shark bites a creature, makes a tentacle attack (if it has any left) and then does a tail smash on creatures it didn't try to bite".

Tentacles: The tentacle shark has 4 tentacles. They regrow after a short rest. If the shark suffers a critical hit, it loses a tentacle.

Legendary Resists (4): If a Tentacle Shark fails a saving throw, it can sacrifice a tentacle to instead save. If it does so, one random creature held by its tentacles is released.

Frenzy: When the Tentacle Shark makes a Bite attack, its Bite damage increases by 1d10 for every tentacle lost, and if it misses, it can make an attack on a different target with its Bite (at most tentacles lost extra attacks).

Bite: Damage reduced to 1d10+5.
Tail smash: I'd cut the 1d6 bludgeoning. Too much stuff to remember, not that dramatic.
Swallow: Happens automatically if it Bites a creature it has restrained.
Tentacle: Restrains creatures.
Blood in the Water: The shark has advantage on perception checks against creatures with less than full HP, and has advantage on attack rolls on creatures with less than half of max HP.

Legendary actions:
Has 4 legendary actions. Every time it loses a tentacle it loses a legendary action.

Detect: The shark makes perception check and then makes a tentacle attack.
Speed of Sekolah: The shark moves its speed and then makes a tentacle attack.
Thrashing Tentacles (2 actions, at most 1/round): ... and then makes a tentacle attack on up to 2 different creatures.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I ran it today and mostly it went well. I think it did need even more hit points, even though at the last minute I pumped them up to 250.

It did end up swallowing and killing the NPC ally. It nearly swallowed a PC, but when flanked by two heavy damage dealing foes (the PC barbarian/fighter and one of the very strong lizardfolk allies), it decided to let go of the bleeding out gnome in order to do a tail bash and a bite to do more damage. This is why I like giving monsters those kinds of choices in terms of how many attacks it can make. It gives people a chance without being cheesy because the other choice makes sense.

I think the tentacles should have done 2d8+5. But ultimately, it was still a fun tough fight that scared the players, and that is what matters.

Remove ads