D&D 5E What D&D Product Can Be Seen In The Crystals?

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or...

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or K than a J). 'Citadel' is also a popular guess for that last word--'Journey(s) to/from the Radiant Citadel'? Take a look and see what you think (or check the comments for flipped and enhanced versions).

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.59.03 PM.png

In Spelljammer lore, the phlogiston--the space between the crystal spheres in which the prime material worlds can be found--is also known as the 'Rainbow Ocean'. And crystal seem on-brand for crystals spheres.

Below the text, the image appears to be of some kind of marketplace. Above it, WotC wrote "Through the depths of the Ethereal Plane is a beacon of possibility and adventure... "

There was apparently a press event today, pending some kind of product announcement on Tuesday.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I won't speculate too much on the name, as it could be referencing a bunch of different things... could be the name of a ship, or a market, a location, or even a region. Too many possibilities to really speculate on.

What the cover actually seems to depict though, is a market or town/city square with a diverse range of denizens. Brightly lit and with signage that is strange, golden sigils.

1647884007418.png
1647884030520.png
1647884056451.png
1647884082431.png

Now, in additions to the DNDLeaks that have been confirmed to be credible (credible is different than confirmed, but let's pretend it's true), this book is an adventure compilation.

Now, I believe that these two together form a clear idea; an adventure compilation, with the "hub" being a bazaar or market in a well-traveled hub between planes. What that hub actually is I won't pretend to know, but it could be in Sigil, the Rock of Bal, Ravnica, one of the Outlands cities, or an entirely new original place.

Ajit George seems to have confirmed he's worked on this project. In addition, I remember his Tweets back with Van Richten's where he said he was working on upcoming projects with WotC, where he would continue to do some worldbuilding (I can't remember if this was explicitly said, but seemed to hint that it was Indian culture-inspired worldbuilding). This seems to point again to a planar hub, but also to worlds/planes that are completely new and original with diverse cultural inspirations.

I hope my hunch is right, because Candlekeep Mysteries is a great book. But combining that with the diverse cultural inspirations that drove Van Richten's domains would be an absolute slam-dunk in expanding 5E's horizons and originality.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
So the homage mention - was that homage to a setting? Could the Radiant Citadel be some kind of "homage" to Sigil, but located in the ethereal plane? As others have mentioned, I can easily see an adventure compilation centered around collecting crystal shards of Sardior through plane hopping, being sent on missions by the gem greatwyrms.

GarrettKP

Explorer
To all you Enworld folks, I have enjoyed reading your mostly good-heartedly speculation thread! And one of you basically figured it out! Bravo!
👏
See you all tomorrow. ;)

So that means it’s likely either “Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel” or “Journeys Through the Radiant Ocean” and it’s an adventure anthology that is either set in/around Sigil, the Rock of Bral, or just setting agnostic adventures.

Remove ads

Remove ads