D&D General What D&D Religion Is Your Favorite, And Why?

Voadam

Legend
My favorite is from the 2e Vikings sourcebook:

"Judging from the sagas, not all Vikings were a fiercely devout group. Many saga heroes loudly proclaimed they had no need for gods and then set out to prove their point. Egil Skallagrimsson, mourning the loss of his son, blamed Odin for his grief and wished he could take vengeance on the sea gods. Worship was something like a bargain. In exchange for devotions, the gods were supposed to give something in return. If they did not, the pact was broken.

This does not mean, however, that Vikings were atheists. They had a rich web of superstition and belief. It is just that, unlike many other religions, the Norsemen did not create religious institutions like the Church or the temples of Rome. In general each man was responsible for his own faith in the gods."

Gods exist, you might make an individual relationship with the gods or not. There are sacred places, and there are seasonal ceremonies, and in the long winters tales are told about the gods and heroes.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Since I read it, this take here on Maglubiyet has changed all I think about goblinoids. Making the different goblinoid species a result of theology (and divine colonialism) is a rich and villainous idea that could fuel a whole campaign.

Bolares

Hero
Blood of Vol is definitely the correct answer here, though I can see the argument for the Church of the Silver Flame as well. There's a lot of good stuff at the core of both of them, but a lot of manipulation and corruption and violent zealotry up-and-down the hierarchy. Just like a real religion!
I'm just happy that 5e gave the blood of vol a better treatment. 3e didn't explain it so well, so if you were not paying attention, it read like the "bad guy religion"

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'm just happy that 5e gave the blood of vol a better treatment. 3e didn't explain it so well, so if you were not paying attention, it read like the "bad guy religion"
Silver Flame got the same treatment too. Way too easily dismissed as "scary corrupt Catholic inquisition". I think Keith spent years trying to dispel all that and finally got a chance to do it in an official book, which was awesome

R_J_K75

Legend
The Faiths and Avatars books for Forgotten Realms have indeed held up wonderfully well. A quarter-century and three editions later they're still the gold standard for religion in Faerun.
I can't recall any WotC book 3E forward that even comes close to the level of detail of those books, and to me that's sad.

I don't know if I have a favorite, but I absolutely love reading the deep dives into D&D religions you used to see. Give me pages of detail on each deity's rites, history, customs, clergy raiment, etc.

Though, now that I think about it, I kinda have to say Moradin, since I've got his holy symbol tattooed on my arm!

I can't recall any WotC book 3E forward that even comes close to the level of detail of those books, and to me that's sad.
The only one I'd say is close is the 3.0 Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide.

It's probably the best single-book campaign sourcebook I've ever seen. Even when you're not playing 3.0, it's still the best one-book description and guide to Faerun, and the best campaign setting book I've seen done.

Remove ads