D&D General What D&D Religion Is Your Favorite, And Why?

The Grand History of the Realms from the 3.5 era is also quite impressive on the level of detail it provides for the history of the realms and tying in points from a lot of products. I enjoyed it a lot.
Oh, that's a really good one too.

I'd honestly say, going across edition lines, to get a really good set of Realms books you'd want:
  • Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (2001)
  • A Grand History of the Realms (2007)
  • Faiths and Avatars (1996)
  • Demihuman Deities (1998)
  • Powers and Pantheons (1997)
  • Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue (1992)

In terms of proper Churches: The Silver Flame. Always nice to have a major faith actually HELP the people. Plus, they're one of the few churches in the setting who can actually back their dogma up with some observable evidence.

In terms of specific Deities: Murlynd: the White Paladin. Divine Lawman of Greyhawk. He's a VERY out-of-place Wild West Sheriff, revolvers and all. I love it.

In terms of D&D-AJACENT works: The Prismatic Ray (though, I prefer "The Prismatic Trinity"). A semi-canon (mentioned as a hypothetical in a Paizo blog post that never showed up in the book but IS filed in their rules database, so...) pantheon made up of Desna (goddess of the Moon, Fortune, and Dreams), Sarenrae (Goddess of The Sun, Fire, and Truth), and Shelyn (goddess of Creation, Passion, and Family). The reason for the association? They're in a throuple. Yep. How's THAT for representation?!

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I really enjoy gods of crafting. In the last campaign I played in, I was one of three dwarven cousin characters. Part of our religious expression was fixing up old architectural wonders. We came across this old stone bridge falling apart high above a canyon, and after fighting a roc we decided to stick around and fix up the bridge. This was our way of worshipping Moradin as a god of the forge.

I also played a one-shot with a Halfling cleric of Gond who traveled around offering to fix up old buildings as an act of worship.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Always nice to have a major faith actually HELP the people.
Well, except for that time when they committed genocide against Shifters. They weren't very good or helpful then. (This is part of the reason why I prefer the other flavors of the Church of the Silver Flame, like the Ghaash'Kala Orcs and Shulassakar Serpent Cults to the main, faux-Catholic Church of the Silver Flame.)
Actually, I think only the Host and the blood of Vol don't have observable evidence.
I'd argue that there are aspects of the setting that do support major aspects of the Blood of Vol more than they do the Sovereign Host, but otherwise, I agree. The existence of Dolurrh, the fact that undead can't use Dragonmarks, and there being practically no evidence for the existence of gods are all points that support the teachings of the Blood of Vol.

Bolares

Hero
I'd argue that there are aspects of the setting that do support major aspects of the Blood of Vol more than they do the Sovereign Host, but otherwise, I agree. The existence of Dolurrh, the fact that undead can't use Dragonmarks, and there being practically no evidence for the existence of gods are all points that support the teachings of the Blood of Vol.
I thought about not including the Blood of Vol in my response, but all their major evidence is the lack of evidence, it does not compare to having a beaming silver light coming from a cathedral. :p

nevin

Hero
dead even tie between Lathander and Shaundakal from original forgotten realms before the time of troubles that we never speak of.

Raiztt

Adventurer
I think this question is ill posed because I can't say that I've ever seen any D&D product that even remotely approaches 'religion' in a comprehensive and coherent way.

Is the question supposed to be which gods or pantheons people prefer?

Remove ads