D&D General What D&D Thing Has Changed The Most

Reynard

Legend
This is totally subjective and supposed to be a light hearted discussion. Please refrain from badwrongfunning or edition warring.

For me one of the D&D things -- game element, rule, class, creature, whatever -- that has changed the most since I discovered D&D (Metzner Basic, 1985) is the kobold. The little dog headed psychos have somehow pupated into pint sized, seni-nible dragonkin. Wha???

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The dice! They used to be dull single colored polyhedrials (replacing carboard chits!) that you had to color in the numbers with a crayon, and expensive to boot. Now they are in glorious colors, translucent, transparent or opaque, you can find them of metal and other materials, have LED lights in them, fancily etched, and otherwise wunderbar!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Challenge, resource management, tier expectations, and art.

Challenge used to be a cornerstone of the game. Low hit points, dead at zero, properly scary monsters, negative conditions that last, and slow healing.

Resources management used to be a cornerstone of the game. Tracking food, water, light sources, weight carried, ammo, etc. It gave a real sense of grounding in the fiction and world.

Tier expectations used to actually change the way the game was played. You'd go from delving dungeons to exploring wilds to leading armies, to leading kingdoms, to questing for immortality, to actually being an immortal.

The art used to be way more evocative. Characters were shown in fun, funny, silly, and scary positions. Black and white line art filled the pages and kept the costs down.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That is certainly a shift. I remember trying to "explain" D&D to people, including parents and teachers, and at best getting derision as a response
Yeah a decade or so ago it amused me that 80s geek had become 00’s cool, now its not even remarkable and geek has gone mainstream

Remove ads