What did you study in college?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
My first brief flirtation with college was right out of high school; I went for a theater major since I had no real plan but liked acting. That lasted about a year and a half before I dropped it, and dropped out, and proceeded to set fire to roughly the following decade.

In my late 20s I decided to delve into by love of architecture and the built world and started back up; I earned an AS in Civil Engineering from a local community college (their architecture program was under their Civil Engineering department at the time), and a BDS in Design Theory, History and Criticism/Historic Preservation from the school I transferred to afterward. My plans for proceeding to a Master of Architecture were derailed by the birth of my kid.

I am now an apprentice electrician working on security system design and installation, with a minor part-time gig as a TTRPG publisher. It's been rough to start over so many times, but I'm doing OK all around.

Mezuka

Hero
Electronics but I hated it after one year. All my friends went into computer programing. Changed to the Communication program as I wanted to make movies. Actually did pretty good as a cameraman, my handheld technic was very stable and creative, without a Steady-Cam.

Ultimately, when I sat down in front of a MacIntosh in 1987 and fired up QuarkXpress it changed my life. I became a self-taught graphic designer, for life.

Argyle King

Legend
My listed majors were "Communications/PR" and "Mediation." I took a lot of unrelated electives though.

I went to college later in life (in my 30s). I had the life experience and job proficiency already, but needed some piece of paper to be hired for much in the US. I enjoyed college, but I honestly don't believe that I learned much about my major during it. (In some cases, my opinion was that what was officially taught was wrong, but it's what I needed to know to pass exams).

Prior to college, I was in the military. I did multiple combat your tours. While that's not college, it was certainly educational.

Where those two things overlap is that I elected to take a lot of classes on warfare and strategy while in college. It was interesting to pair my practical experiences with some academic knowledge.

Edit: Other than that, I read a lot. I'm of the belief that education can (and often does) take place outside of the classroom.

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
I minored in a 90 minute bus ride to a 7:30 am class, where I majored in sleeping though said class, with extra credit in being groggy through other classes... until I had a 90+ minute bus ride to work at a Video Game retail store where I practiced the art of trying to get some homework done when there were no customers in the store. Usually getting home around 10 and thunking down to rinse and repeat.

The end result was a Journalism degree... The process I followed again a few years later to gain a certificate in Comedic Writing and Performance.

I regret all of it. Should have doubled down on my love of D&D and gotten into game design! :p

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I did half a business degree majoring in public administration. Then I went to a degree where I majored film production and English lit. My final film project was on a local Shakespearean theatre troupe. (self-lol)

I worked in TV for about 15 years in Australia and the UK but it was mostly in technical roles rather than creative which was never my goal.

Nowadays I work at an archive migrating old media (VHS, etc) to computer.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I have a batchelor's degree in Informatics (Computer science). Only thing I am missing for being able to have taken out a Master's degree is a 10 credit thesis (1 credit per week of stydying at the time). The course-program also included some mathematics, and a total of 40 credits of Economics. We used to have 20 credits per semester for full course load (40 for a year).. Used to be that you needed 160 credits for a Masters'd sdegree. I have passed courses worth 325 credits... ;)

I have also studied project managment, business law + little bit of EU law, design, rethorics, and English.

Remove ads