• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What direction will D&D head in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh, I guess I need to get used to largely agreeing with hong, because I don't think he's wrong here, regarding D&D 4E being basically "action movie flavoured". The structure of the powers (at-will, encounter, daily), the whole Healing Surge deal and different perspective on HP, the mooks, etc. etc., it's like 4E and one of the '90s action movie RPGs had a love-child, and then marketing stepped in and forced the child to be trained as a strat-RPG in order to sell minis, but that's another story.

The only thing I don't agree is the apparent suggestion that WoW is "action movie styled". WoW is a slow, tedious game that is extremely far from any kind of bearable movie. Nothing much exciting, sudden or "kewl" happens in WoW (certainly outside of PvP). I'm not sure why hong is bringing it up except to upset people, though, because 4E doesn't much resemble WoW beyond a few superficials.

hong

WotC's bitch
I got a copy of Lego Star Wars recently based on your comments, actually. Does Lego Star Wars II improve things? I found it okay to entertain visitors when played two player, but it doesn't seem very compelling one player. 1945 drew me in more (which I got from the same bargain bin).

It does seem to strike a sweet spot where they can take their attention off of designing pretty graphics, though, and concentrate on gameplay.

Lego Star Wars 1 was the new trilogy (TPM, AOTC, ROTS). Lego SW 2 was the original trilogy, and this was the one I got.

Then you have Lego Indiana Jones which continues in the same vein.

They're all much the same, really, although LSW2 has some improvements in gameplay from LSW1. If you've played one, you know what to expect from the others.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I just deleted one post, and there's surely more that deserve it as well. Enough with the veiled edition war, folks. If you're posting to disparage one edition at the expense of another, don't even bother hitting submit.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
it's like 4E and one of the '90s action movie RPGs had a love-child, and then marketing stepped in and forced the child to be trained as a strat-RPG in order to sell minis, but that's another story.

No, it's not a story, it's just your incorrect, slightly passive aggressive, opinion, in my opinion.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I'm not the guy who peed in your cornflakes Dan, so you might want to direct your inexplicable rage elsewhere.

I think "inexplicable rage" is a tad much – stop trying to impress with over-verbiage.

And nice try, with the thinly veiled insults (as usual), but everyone here knows your posts are almost always littered with shrouded, passive aggressive remarks, please stop, it ruins your credibility, and you do sometime have interesting things to say.

Just come out and insult 4th Ed directly and do everyone a favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads