What do we know of D&D Essentials?

If it was not for the cover that they have chosen I would not doubt your logic. The red box was presented as an introduction to AD&D but was in fact a different game.

They chose the cover, in part, for nostalgia purposes, and because the Essentials serves the same purpose as the old Red Box--an easy, introductory product.

But it's the same game. It's 4E. It's not like 4E, or almost 4E. It's 4E, just presented in a simpler, more pared-down format.

the Jester

Legend
If it was not for the cover that they have chosen I would not doubt your logic. The red box was presented as an introduction to AD&D but was in fact a different game.

Huh... I always thought it was pretty clear that the Basic Set was a different game than AD&D. Shrug.

xechnao

First Post
But it's the same game. It's 4E. It's not like 4E, or almost 4E. It's 4E, just presented in a simpler, more pared-down format.

Ok, sorry to ask again but do you have any official links that clarify this?
I searched for a FAQ but no luck.

What I could only find is this:

D&D XP 2010: Dungeons & Dragons Essentials : Critical Hits

Interesting quote was:

Additionally, the DDI tools (like character builder) will “work to support the analogue game line” which can easily be taken to mean there will be, at least, an “Essentials Mode.”

Also they talk about solo mode and a different way to determine your class or role. Perhaps they have designed classes in a way that can perform on more roles so that gameplay can be more circumstancial.

Another one is that they have already announced about 10 different products. 10 products sounds stupid if it is just an introductory kit to 4e.

After reading this, my take is that while you could be able to use monsters from 4e, some rules will be different in the sense of being more streamlined and simple in terms of tracking effects and the like. So that if you run with "essentials only" rules the game will run a bit smoother and perhaps with less specialization for the player characters so that they will do more things.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As one who has said "hey, its basic"...lets go back to when dinasours walked the earth, and were in the monster manual...

Holmes Basic (the first one): An introduction to both original D&D and the coming AD&D. Supposed to be compatible.

Moldvay & Mentzer basic (e.g. the red box(es)): The first part of a "new" game. There are various reasons B/X became a "new" game--including Dave Arneson's law suit--and there are certainly differences, but there was also enough compatibility in products that people would use stuff from B/X with AD&D and vice versa.

Time passes...

Essentials are anounced.

Why is this like "basic", becuase it comes in a box, is aimed at newbys, and is the basis for a free standing set of products that you don't need, and never need, the PHB, DMG, or MM for. Why is still sort of like basic, becuase you can use with the other D&D in print at the same time. But no, its not exactly like basic. Presumably you can make an elf cleric.

darjr

I crit!
It was confirmed that it'll be levels 1-3. There was a thread around here about it with a link. I'll dig it up when I get a chance.

Note that the nostalgia art is a limited run. Only the first printing will have that look. My guess is that subsequent printings will have cover art more like the rest of the essentials line.

Remove ads