• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you call arcane magic users?

3d6

Explorer
I just finshed up a campaign in which arcane magic was widely associated with evil and persecuted by the church. However, we never really had a good word to describe people who used non-divine magic. We pretty much just refered to arcane magic users as arcane magic-users, but that never sounded very good

What terms to other people use to refer to arcane magic users as a group? Beyond that, what's a good general term for divine magic users?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Arcanists" would be a good general name for the arcane users.

"Priests" would be a good general term for divine users.

Laundreu

First Post
I've always been fond of 'mage' or 'arcanist'. 'Trafficker in the occult', perhaps. Diving magic users are less united in their divine casting - their focus is on other areas, you see. They'd be 'clerics' and 'druids' and 'prophets' and such, not 'diviners' ('specially since diving has the association with the fortelling, or 'divining', of the future).

3d6

Explorer
Hmm. I don't know why it never occurred to us to call them "mages". That's what they were called in second edition, wasn't it? “Arcanists” is good too. If only I had asked before the campaign was over, we could have avoided some rather awkward sentences.

Whisper72

Explorer
In most of my games, I do not consider divine magic to be _magic_. Thus, magic-users, mages, arcanists, wizards, sorcerors, witches (also used for males), warlocks, magicians, magi, theurges etc. are all names for non-priestly magic users.

Those who use divinely inspired magic are priests, druids, witchdoctors, clerics, minister, preacher, reverend, vicar, bishop, cardinal etc.

Sometimes different names are used to denote different 'power' levels (either in 'Level' strength, or in 'political' strength within the church/temple hierarchy or within the mage-guild hierarchy etc. Also, sometimes the name differences are used to denote which country/culture or which magic tradition the person comes from....

rbingham2000

Explorer
My general term for "arcane magic-user" is "sorcerer."

I know it's a D&D class, but the way I figure it, the "sorcerer" thing can be a label for anyone who uses arcane magic, such as wizards, bards, warlocks, and sorcerers.

frankthedm

First Post
I make it a point any NPC without the appropriate knowledge makes mistakes with naming conventions of arcane casters,

Sorcerer, Mage, Wizard, Warlock{slur], diabolist{slur], Witch{slur], sorcerer, Alienist{slur] and all school names are tossed around pretty willy nilly. “Necromancer” and “illusionist” are also used in insulting manners.

Those who understand the differences between preparing spell and spontaneous casting call sorcerers “soul casters” to their faces and “warpers of the spheres” when their backs are turned. Music mages or bards are referred to as “Hearer of the spheres” since the speakers assume the bard will eventually hear about any insults.
The spheres are;
1. The barriers that keep Existence safe from what / who is Outside.*
2. The “levels” or “circles” spells were broken up into by Marduk [lord of pure incantations] to make sure mortals using magic don’t wear down the barrier.

*Far Realm / Yog-Sothoth

Remove ads