• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you call your company of adventurers?

Daybringer

First Post
All most all of our adventuring companies have had names. We tend to pick a name after 2nd level. Our current name is The Last Resort. Our most famous name actually became the name of our gaming group. We even have shirts printed up which most of us wear when we play.

Storminator

First Post
Back in 1e when we went thru PCs like nobody's business we had The Varsity, which were the highest level characters we had, and the JV (junior varsity, obviously), which was everyone else. To join the Varsity you either had to reach the level of the lowest Varsity member, or be the highest level character of your class.

We came up with something last session, but I don't remember it and I'm not sure it'll stick. :D

PS

Old 2E game, we started around level 5 or 6 and played for something like 16 hours straight that first time (so everybody was flying pretty high on no sleep). We had to deal with a necromancer animating monsters as the opening adventure. My group named themselves after the first 4 things we defeated. Thus we became:

>drum roll<

Three Dead Trolls and a Banshee.

When I suggested that I rendered my DM unable to do anything but mutter, "I can't believe you said that..." for 5 minutes.

baradtgnome

First Post
Typically there has not been a name of the adventuring group. Our two exceptions have been:

Cormyr game currently on hold - Companions of the Gauntlet. The obtaining of the adventurers decree from the crown was via the church of Torm, and two members of the group are adherents of Torm; a cleric and a paladin.

The homebrew game I run - the group is taking up the mantle of a previous group (now long dead) loyal to a king and linked by legendary soul bound weapons. The original group was called Avengers of the Crown. My players settled (if you can call it that - as was described above by someone else, it was a long, painful, groupthink process that eliminated the names individuals disliked and thus were left with the only one that could be negotiated...) on Justice Crusaders of the Realm.

I wish the naming had been more spontaneous and original; but alas group diplomacy is rarely that.

thewok

First Post
I've never had a group that had an actual name. For the most part we just call the group "the party," and we leave it at that.

Generally, though, in the game world, whoever "hires" us (we typically don't have mercenary characters, but the term fits) will call us "_____'s group," where ____ is the name of the PC with whom the NPC is most familiar.

Most actual names are for large guilds and such.

Wormwood

Adventurer
In our Scales of War campaign, the PCs originally named themselves the Overlook Vanguard.

Later events [SoW spoiler] had them change their name to the Platinum Vanguard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads