D&D 5E What do you consider "good" ability scores?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
One of my players is DMing tomorrow, and I rolled up 4 sets of stats (I will be playing two PCs) and here are the results (in order):

1648243129430.png

So, the first three sets have the highest totals, the second with the 8 and 9 might even offer some fun role-play options.

But, they are really good IMO, and it got me to thinking what scores are "good", but not too good, for me to enjoy playing, and I came up with this array: 17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 10

This gives me a +3, two +2's, two +1's and a +0. I can easily play a MAD class.

So, what makes a good array for you?

EDIT: tweaking the array a bit more and now I have: 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 10; gives me +3, +2, +1, +1, +0, +0 (total +7). With racial ASIs maxes out at +9.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
One that supports the concept I'd like to play while being varied in the other respects. I like weaknesses as well as strengths.

So that last array - 9, 16, 12, 15, 4, 8 - would suit me well were I thinking of an Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, or Wizard.

aco175

Legend
In earlier editions, I thought a total of +6 when combined was good. In 5e, I would think the same. Standard array with the 15,14,13,12,10,8 gives 5 before you add the +2/+1 which would generally make +7 total. Anything in the +6 to +8 would be good, some of yours with +12 is a bit above.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
One that supports the concept I'd like to play while being varied in the other respects. I like weaknesses as well as strengths.

So that last array - 9, 16, 12, 15, 4, 8 - would suit me well were I thinking of an Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, or Wizard.
I could see an Arcane Trickster well, too.

But man those first rolls were crazy good!

Anything in the +6 to +8 would be good, some of yours with +12 is a bit above.
Yeah, the first and third array were really too much IMO. In AD&D it was great, in 5E it is overkill.

The array I came up with is +9 total, so a bit above your sweet spot; and with racial ASIs could bump you to +11... so still pretty high I guess...

But can you imagine the 1 and 3 rolled arrays with racial ASIs as well?? YIKES! :eek:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Are we allowed to rearrange these?

If not, then the 4th one is a suicide waiting to happen (probably in the most wonderfuly entertaining of manners) if that Wisdom-4 is honoured in how the character is played. If it were mine to play I'd find some way to make it hilariously entertaining while it lasted, and have a second character on immediate standby as its inevitably-needed replacement. Hmmm...high Dex, extremely low Wis - can anyone else here say "Kender"? :)

Otherwise, the 2nd set there would make a hella fine Cleric; while the 1st and 3rd sets can be anything they want. In 5e terms the 1st and 3rd sets might be seen as overkill; in 1e they're great.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
If allowed to arrange, then arrays 1 and 3 are good to very good, array 2 is very lopsided (a mix of very good and pretty bad), array 4 is not one I would willingly play. That is, array 4 has some good stats, but it has one really terrible stat and that would bother me a lot.

Lyxen

Great Old One
There's no such thing as too good scores for roleplay. You don't need low scores to roleplay.

Indeed, just adding that you don't need good ones either.

Mechanically is a different story. Arrays 1 & 3 are a little too good. Best not for a beginner DM or a generic game. 4 is a little too bad unless the party is 6+ people. 2 is great.

I agree, a lot of variability there.

Just to point out, for my latest campaign where I wanted fairness but also a bit of randomness, we used Barflip/Gridflip and it worked like a charm, all the players loved it, the scores are not too high and not too low, there is a bit a thinking in creating the character but randomness is still present, etc.

I can only encourage people to try it.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I could see an Arcane Trickster well, too.

But man those first rolls were crazy good!

Yeah, the first and third array were really too much IMO. In AD&D it was great, in 5E it is overkill.

The array I came up with is +9 total, so a bit above your sweet spot; and with racial ASIs could bump you to +11... so still pretty high I guess...

But can you imagine the 1 and 3 rolled arrays with racial ASIs as well?? YIKES! :eek:
+9 in 5e is too high for my taste. The method I use gives characters a +1 to +3 net modifier. No more than +2 on any ability. ASIs can take to a maximum of 18. That results in it being often better to avoid rolling against other parameters of the game as written.

Remove ads