• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you do if you make a paladin and you roll, say, a 4.

Magesmiley

Explorer
You know... I'd probably vote for putting the 4 in DEX rather than INT as well. The dumb paladin is more of an overplayed stereotype than the clumsy one.

From a rules mechanics standpoint, the biggest hit is going to be to AC. Odds are that you'll mostly be using melee weapons, so the hit roll penalty on ranged won't be so bad. You'll act a bit slower with the lower initiative, but not horribly so. The penalty on skills (particularly ride) is counteracted by having more skill points.

If the game being run isn't solid hack and slash, I think the skill points (and languages) will pay off more than the AC. Extra points allows you to boost up skills other than ride, like... diplomacy. Remember to try using your high CHA and talk your way through some encounters. In many situations its a lot easier and faster than trying to carve through everything in existence.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Wystan said:
Make a fighter, but it in Con and die in the first encounter... :)

Then make the Paladin.

Actually, I was going to say:

Make a crazy chaotic Wizard, put the 4 in Con and rush up to do battle with the nastiest opponent you can find with one hit point in the first encounter.

PS. Put one of the two 12s in Dex so that your AC is only 11. Run around the nasty so that he gets an AoO (i.e. make sure the DM attacks and kills him) and if that does not work, punch him (so he gets the AoO). Rinse and repeat if the Cleric saves you.

Then make the Paladin. ;)

Bad Paper

First Post
Intelligence. In fact, all paladins I've seen have an Int dump-stat. You could go for Wis and use Complete Warrior's non-spellcasting paladin variant.

I have seen some very well role-played stupid paladins. It's part of the paladin's schtick: "I am [deity]'s Chosen." Righteous. Singleminded. Unsubtle.

{I have also seen a Ranger who rolled five gorgeous scores, and a 3! A 3! Meaning she rolled four 1s and dropped the lowest! Magical! She wound up with a dumpstat of Cha. And then was crushed to pulp by a water elemental.}

Question

First Post
Well with dex, you not only lose 3 to AC, but you also lose 3 to init......which can be a fairly big factor the higher level the game is.

Int though, well paladins arent supposed to be stupid.......lots of RP repurcussions as well.

Its really not an easy choice.

mvincent

Explorer
I prefer using Wisdom as a dump stat for Paladins, even if I don't need to. A gullible and unwise paladin just fits how I like to roleplay. The spells are really no loss, especially since I prefer wands for paladins anyway.

Wystan said:
Make a fighter, but it in Con and die in the first encounter... :)

Then make the Paladin.
Depending on the DM and the game in question this is not a bad option. However, I'd put it in INT otherwise take the hit on skills, and then utterly ignore it as regards how I roleplay the character since genuinely TRYING to roleplay such a near-moron level of intellect for a long-term character wears thin just about instantaneously. If I'm inclined to accomodate it at all I'd have a background with some form of curse, or maybe make the character a construct like a Warforged even if it means importing it as a race out of Eberron to another setting.

Question

First Post
Sure, the die then re-roll a new character is an option, but smart DMs realise that if a player does something like that in order to get a re-roll he might as well give a re-roll anyway.

So either the DM has a policy about not letting the player play again if he dies in such an obvious manner, or at least, not play the same character/concept, or he simply hasnt thought of the possibility yet.

Sejs

First Post
Question said:
Well with dex, you not only lose 3 to AC, but you also lose 3 to init......which can be a fairly big factor the higher level the game is.

Well, yes and no. Init can be a fairly big factor in higher levels - if you're a primary spellcaster. Mage types, mostly, though divine casters as well. The right spell can end a fight before it begins.

For melee... not so much. Its actually often the opposite. At lower levels a melee character going first can swing a fight amazingly because your foes are frail enough to drop in one or two hits. Later on they can take a few hits and so getting in that first lick isn't as important.

And there's always the Improved Initiative feat, anyway.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
An Int 4 Human Paladin has a heck of a lot more skill points than your average Half-Orc Fighter. Plenty of points to pick up a very respectable number of ranks of Ride, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive.

I would go with Dex. A lesser AC and a lower Initiative is not such a big deal as long as you do not begin the combat standing on the front line.

Remove ads