What do you do well?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I am good at interweaving plotlines, and at controlling information flow.

I am bad at improvisation, pretty much in direct proportion.

The Auld Grump

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
No idea

No idea what they like about me as DM. All I know for certain is people do enjoy the game when I DM. I've had some very large tables over the years. Even now I still get requests to DM from my small group.

I would say my dedication and focus might be my best traits. They know when I commit to DMing, I'm going to put a great deal of effort into the game. More than likely they will have high level characters by the time we are done. They will have that imaginary feeling of accomplishment from building up characters from weak to powerful.

I would also say the speed with which I run the game helps. I know the rules very well. I usually know not only my own numbers, but my players numbers as well. Which makes for a faster more fluid game. Less boredom and less downtime with faster, dynamic combats.

Gold Roger

First Post
Not having DMed for quite some time, I'd say these are my strengths:

1. My love for DMing. Quite simply, I love every aspect of running a game. I love the system mastery and tactical combat. I love world creation and thinking up characters. The same goes for organizing the group and keeping things rolling. I love the plotting and improvising. Pretty much every DMing lets the overflowing imagination, that makes me the dreamer I am, run wild and then it lets me see what others make of the things I throw at their heads. This goes so far that I'm a terrible player, beacuse I get so damn itchy to be on the other side of the screen again.

2. As a DM, I'm ambitious. I want to improve with every session to provide my friends with the best game I possibly can. I constantly try new things and am always on the lookout for anything that could make me a better DM.

3. My NPCs are nice, but imho my villain gallery is awesome. I believe the baddies I create are original, believable and have stats to match. All my villains have their own modus operandi. Few things are greater than having the PC's itching to finally get that guy and I've seen it happen more than a few times.

I also used to believe that my challenging combats and stat builds made me an awesome DM. Sadly, I never had players as tactically minded as me, resulting in an overabundance of PC deaths and, yes, TPKs. Today I think this believe actually made me a worse DM, so in my next campaign I'll try for combats that are just as engaging, but with a far lowerkill factor, which will certainly be a challenge for me.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Preparation. I use many self-developed tables and tools to make sure that the area the PCs are in feels like it could exist without them there. (With a few oddball ideas generated from my many random tables).

Basically, if I am GM I will make sure that I fully involve myself in it, inc reading every book I can get on the topic ;)

Remove ads