What do you do well?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
If I may toot my own horn...and it's the point/premise of the thread, so...TOOT TOOT!

I get many compliments on immersion. The players really feel a part of my world...as Super Pony mentions, "engaging the senses" is a big poart of this, whether that has anything to do with the encounter at hand or not...in a city, in a dungeon, hanging out at the tavern...you get a complete picture/"feel" for where you are. Other things like regional food and fashions, seasonal "realistic" weather, all help contribute to this.

Along the "immersion" lines, the game world is not "the same" everywhere you go. Different realms, regions, kingdoms, each have a culture and lavor of their own that players seem to enjoy (some like certain regions better than others...but then, certain regions are designed to be more fun/amicable/adventurous/what have you, than others.)

Like Ahnehnois, I am often told I'm a good listener and so, am regularly listened to. Which is always nice.

I work with my players to do what I can to make their desires work, without disruption (or absurdity) of the world-setting. Some don't get their way and don't like it. But many more do.

I like to think I have a talent for diverse, "realistic" and enjoyable NPCs and NPC interactions, though I admit haven't had many comments about them other than the occasional "so-and-so is cool! Let's go back and talk to/see/have drinks with them" or "I like so and so" or "I'm not sure about so-and-so". Most any NPC, of any importance, gets some sort of personality and some kind of backstory/personal goals.

Everyone who is helpful to the party is not necessarily "nice." Not everyone who is "nice" can actually help the party. My players have learned to take each interaction as it comes and that someone being a d--k isn't necessarily an agent of the BBEG. Some people are just 'not pleasant" to deal with/have other concerns than what the party wants/needs...or just got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I post to messageboards ......

But mroe seriously, I am good at envisioning a world, on the fly and reacting to the player's ideas in the game.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Casting the spotlight on each player so they have a chance to shine, trying to incorporate their back stories, and letting them decide how the story unfolds. Basically saying "yes" when they want to do something.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
I do my absolute level best, every time, 100% of the time, to provide my players with a good, fun experience when I DM. If I don't feel like I accomplished that, I find out what I can do to make the next session a better one.

I am constantly trying to improve my DM skills, tools, and repertoire.

S'mon

Legend
I'm pretty good at running a game that is a fair challenge, not Monty Haul and not Killer Dungeon. The PCs pretty well always have the chance to succeed or to fail, with player skill as well as luck having a big impact. Lots of players find my games enjoyably challenging, though it can certainly go bad occasionally.

I'm good at ensuring the PCs are the stars of the show. They are always the stars, to me - I hate GMPCs. Being the star is a challenge, though - you have to Step On Up and show you're star material.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I do not believe in plot protection. BBEGs have bought the big one in one shot.
I have also killed beloved NPCs with natural causes.

Elf Witch

First Post
I am good at world building and making a world that my players enjoy exploring. I also make worlds that tend to make sense so you don't have arctic zones smack up against a burning hot desert.

I make interesting fleshed out NPCs both the good guys and the bad guys are more than just stats.

I work with my players to make the game fun for them I try and not say no instead if I really think a request is not going to work as it is presented I will try and come up with away to tweak it so it does work.

I design the game to give every player a chance to shine.

I know my players like to be like the heroes out of books and movies so I do things to help stop them being killed by orc number 1 in a non heroic way. One way I do this is through fate and action points. Also I have a house rule that unnamed mooks don't crit. That house rule I stole from another DM.

I incorporate a players back story into the game and make it worthwhile for a player who choose to take the time to create one.

I am good at reading people so I use that to judge if the players are having fun or if they are getting bored and adjust what is happening.

I am really good at thinking on my feet and doing things on the fly.

SSquirrel

Explorer
I recognize my deficiencies when it comes to running a game, so I don't do it :) I do an excellent job of playing quirky characters for my DM to riff off of and I usually make sure to understand a system very thoroughly and end up a reference point for the other players and DM. I used to help Co-ST an OWoD game in college and my DM didn't know Mage at all, so I covered all Mage questions and helped him w/some overarching plots for the game. In the 3E days, my DM asked me to make 3 L13 Ogre enemies specifically tailored to kill 3 of our party members. I made perfect counters to some of our group members and then the way things went, none of them fought the guy they were designed to fight and they were taken down easily. He was so frustrated :)

I'm good at "flying by the seat of my pants," it happens often in the games I run where the players take an "unexpected path" (not railroaded) and I come up with fun/interesting scenarios very quickly. I'm also good at stealing player ideas (i.e. they mention something in passing that they think would be cool/fun) and putting them into the adventures.

Remove ads