• Shopping for supplies/gear.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Hobnobbing with important NPCs.

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • Running a business.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Carving out a kingdom.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • Researching/inventing spells or powers.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Gaining rank in setting organizations.

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Building a fortress/guildhall/temple/tower/whatever.

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Managing a domain/nation building.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Monster hunting (as sport).

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Item/gear Crafting (including collecting components).

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Romance/marriage.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Building a legacy.

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Planar travel or other far out adventuring.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Seeking immortality.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Founding a specific organization (starting a religion, etc).

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Political Intrigue

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Solving Mysteries

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • Discovering the strange, novel and/or fantastical

Votes: 46 56.8%

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
What sorts of activities are fun for you when playing D&D (any edition). By activities, I mean the stuff your player characters get up so, not the purely player focused things like seeing friends, earting pizza or drinking beer, or purely meta things like leveling up or engaging in theorycrafting or builds.

If I missed something in the poll, let me know and I will add it.

One missing for me is investigating campaign scale mysteries. Things like the cause of the Mournland in Eberron. I'd also say simply following a story motivation as well, but that's a bit broad of a category.

What's up right now my characters prime motivation would be - Exploring Dungeons, Travel other than hexcrawling, Researching new spells, Building a home base, Planar Travel, and seeking immortality.

I almost said fighting monsters, but that's my motivation as a player not the character. My character would be interested in self improvement. Learning secrets, honing skills, improving physique, things like that.

Edit: I see that you said player motivations in general, so yeah I'll add fighting monsters in there.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I also love advancing the story, whatever the story might be at the time. Could be a big metaplot, or just helping someone on their personal quest, etc.
I think this is more meta? I know it is a fuzzy line, and I'm not going to say it isn't a good answer, but is "advancing the story" something specific that the PCs do in the world?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I voted for:

Hobnobbing with important NPCs.
Romance/marriage.
Building a legacy.
Political Intrigue.
Solving Mysteries.

Basically everything involving narrative actions my character takes relative to the peoples and places around him/her. So in fact the list given could be missing any number of additional things that I would vote for if they were in the list-- taking quests, reacting to events occurring in the world, fixing problems, helping NPCs, following my character's needs and desires, etc.

Most of the stuff in the given list are activities my characters would have no problem doing if they were the result of whatever story beat pushed him/her in that direction. But they wouldn't do it for no reason-- my characters wouldn't go Finding Monetary Loot just for the sake of finding monetary loot for example... they'd do it if the story gave my characters a reason why they would want to go find monetary loot. Or run a business. Or found an organization. Or fight monsters.

Give me a narrative reason within the game world and my characters will try to do almost anything.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
While not necessarily all mysteries, I like to "solve" the root conflict or question of a particular story. This may mean actually solving a mystery, resolving some issue, or understanding more about the situation so we can move people's (PCs and NPCs) stories forward.

Remove ads