• Shopping for supplies/gear.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Hobnobbing with important NPCs.

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • Running a business.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Carving out a kingdom.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • Researching/inventing spells or powers.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Gaining rank in setting organizations.

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Building a fortress/guildhall/temple/tower/whatever.

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Managing a domain/nation building.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Monster hunting (as sport).

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Item/gear Crafting (including collecting components).

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Romance/marriage.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Building a legacy.

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Planar travel or other far out adventuring.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Seeking immortality.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Founding a specific organization (starting a religion, etc).

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Political Intrigue

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Solving Mysteries

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • Discovering the strange, novel and/or fantastical

Votes: 46 56.8%

Voadam

Legend
Immersive play. So first person roleplaying, exploring things up close, rich descriptions. I like dealing with politics and investigating and exploring things. I like player skill activities, it feels immersive for me.

Not really hexcrawling though, more immediate explorations.

I like D&D combat, it is often a fun D&D activity for me.

Traps can be OK, depending on how they are handled. I like stuff that fits the story and can be player skilled around or that can be part of a combat. I really dislike hidden save or die such as B/X or AD&D poison stuff.

I do not really want to do fiddly little things like shopping or crafting or running a business or domain. I am fine with running stuff like a keep or merchant empire as part of a character, but I do not want to deal with the minutiae. I don't really care about treasure anymore, I mostly go for story achievement stuff.

Nearly any of these; even the one I didn't vote for could be fun I just haven't seen them handled well very often.

A general theme though is: I want to see my character grow and become someone special; there's just a lot of ways to do this.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Didn't pick dungeons, traps, exploring/travel planar travel and immortality.

I also didn't pick fighting monsters but did pick hunting monsters for sport as I really prefer 'fighting' against people who really deserve it just in terms of motivation.

Stormonu

NeoGrognard
Being a badass - more than just fighting monsters, but those moments where you character really gets to show off how they're really extraordinary - whether its taking down 12 giants in a single blow or talking the evil annis into leaving town without having to draw a weapon to casting a spell that sweeps the party up from the local town to the dungeon's entrance with a single word.

Being someone you're not - my life is pretty mundane and boring. Getting into being my gruff, half-orc mercenary fighter who donates his coin to the local orphanage between adventures is fun for getting to explore who that character is and what their life is like - in an out of the dungeon.

Everything else is pretty much "in moderation". Like, I don't mind puzzling out how to avoid a trap, but a trap-filled dungeon with nothing to straight-up fight would probably bore me. Conversely, a dungeon that was nothing but "break the door down and fight what's on the other side" would be just as bad. Or always being stuck in a dungeon.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Being a badass - more than just fighting monsters, but those moments where you character really gets to show off how they're really extraordinary - whether its taking down 12 giants in a single blow or talking the evil annis into leaving town without having to draw a weapon to casting a spell that sweeps the party up from the local town to the dungeon's entrance with a single word.

Being someone you're not - my life is pretty mundane and boring. Getting into being my gruff, half-orc mercenary fighter who donates his coin to the local orphanage between adventures is fun for getting to explore who that character is and what their life is like - in an out of the dungeon.
I think these are both essentially meta things.

Remove ads