• Shopping for supplies/gear.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Hobnobbing with important NPCs.

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • Running a business.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Carving out a kingdom.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • Researching/inventing spells or powers.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Gaining rank in setting organizations.

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Building a fortress/guildhall/temple/tower/whatever.

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Managing a domain/nation building.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Monster hunting (as sport).

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Item/gear Crafting (including collecting components).

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Romance/marriage.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Building a legacy.

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Planar travel or other far out adventuring.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Seeking immortality.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Founding a specific organization (starting a religion, etc).

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Political Intrigue

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Solving Mysteries

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • Discovering the strange, novel and/or fantastical

Votes: 46 56.8%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That was one of those things I considered a player thing primarily, but I suppose it is possible that the characters in the world also actively seek to gain levels?
Oh. I wasn't viewing those things as from PC perspective. The poll asked what I like to do in playing D&D, so I figured it was viewing those things as a player. Tired morning me missed the usually from PC perspective. :p

Edit: Then add all of it in except for romance, because I roleplay and my PCs are often up for just about anything, depending on what the game is about and what the concept is.

Edit 2: The OP does say not purely from player perspective, which would cause folks to include player goals as well. :)

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
It would be interesting to run this poll in reverse, which when combined with this poll would give a sense of what activities are actively disliked versus activities that people are merely apathetic towards.

Vaalingrade

Legend
It is fun when a common meme activity ends up so low in the poll -- shopping, in this case. The internet is filled with jokes about players taking up hours and hours shopping, and only 11% of us seem to enjoy that.
You're asking in the place where mocking that was likely born.

Even those who weren't predisposed to not like it are less likely to say so here.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Sure. Like I said, the lines are fuzzy. What I was trying to get at was the sort of in-game activities the player likes their character to get up to.
And it's just difficult to separate. Everything I like to do in-game I don't like doing for its own sake; I like to do those activities because it's satisfying my metagame goals and likes.

Fifinjir

Explorer
I picked a pretty eclectic mix, but putting it all together implies this would be my favorite sort of adventure:

Solving a mystery surrounding an event that caused or involves the sudden appearance of monsters. It will involve a lot of traveling (with hexes or otherwise), talking to NPCs and getting into their backstory, and some extraplanar screwery. All while pointedly avoiding anything resembling political intrigue. Throw in finding a few magic items as well and maybe building a base of operations.

That’s basically the game I’m running now, so….

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It is fun when a common meme activity ends up so low in the poll -- shopping, in this case. The internet is filled with jokes about players taking up hours and hours shopping, and only 11% of us seem to enjoy that.

Also "seducing the dragon" -- but romance is only at 20% ish.

I wonder how different the poll results would be outside of playing D&D specifically.
It’s probably down to the older demographics represented on the forum.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
And it's just difficult to separate. Everything I like to do in-game I don't like doing for its own sake; I like to do those activities because it's satisfying my metagame goals and likes.
For me it’s a mix. Most of mine are purely because I think those things are fun unto themselves in the game. Only a few are for the meta.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Everything except shopping, running a business, hunting as sport, and romance.
Huh. I voted for two of those, out of the maybe ten things I selected.

In-character romance-marriage-rivalry-jealousy-etc. can be lots of fun; and shopping is often the only way to get useful gear if-when the adventures aren't that forthcoming.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I voted for everything except...

1. Fighting monsters
2. Finding monetary loot
3. Researching spells/powers
4. Monster hunting
5. Crafting items
6. Romance

Fighting holds little enjoyment for me. It's fun sometimes and is usually necessary for level advancement, which is also fun and not only the list. I also like finding spells and items, not making them. Lastly, romance has always been something really awkward in an RPG, so that's right out.
Man oh man - your list of 6 things you didn't vote for hits 4 things I did, and I only voted for about ten! :)

Remove ads