• Shopping for supplies/gear.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Hobnobbing with important NPCs.

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • Running a business.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Carving out a kingdom.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • Researching/inventing spells or powers.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Gaining rank in setting organizations.

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Building a fortress/guildhall/temple/tower/whatever.

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Managing a domain/nation building.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Monster hunting (as sport).

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Item/gear Crafting (including collecting components).

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Romance/marriage.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Building a legacy.

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Planar travel or other far out adventuring.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Seeking immortality.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Founding a specific organization (starting a religion, etc).

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Political Intrigue

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Solving Mysteries

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • Discovering the strange, novel and/or fantastical

Votes: 46 56.8%

I think this is more meta? I know it is a fuzzy line, and I'm not going to say it isn't a good answer, but is "advancing the story" something specific that the PCs do in the world?
Maybe "Help my friends/interesting people" is less meta phrasing. But I suppose it's also a little more vague, since it could include helping them bake cookies or less story oriented things. Then again, I would totally help another party member bake some cookies.

When the barbarian that slaughters your foes wants to bake some cookies, you bake some cookies!

Exploration and discovery are pretty central for me - for wilderness, dungeons and cities in equal terms. I tend so sort "Solving Mysteries" into this bucket, too.
Also I enjoy friendly banter, both within the party and with important NPCs. Can be combined with a bit of drinking and gambling in taverns, but that's just a plus and not required all the time.
And finally, once in a while, there should be a an action scene (fight, chase, escape from crumbling castle, etc.).

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It is fun when a common meme activity ends up so low in the poll -- shopping, in this case. The internet is filled with jokes about players taking up hours and hours shopping, and only 11% of us seem to enjoy that.

Also "seducing the dragon" -- but romance is only at 20% ish.

I wonder how different the poll results would be outside of playing D&D specifically.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I’m probably an outlier, but one of things I really enjoy is learning the histories/mythologies/lore of the world, whether it be the history of the worlds origins, the story of the gods, histories of the various kingdoms and it’s heroes/villains, and the histories and myths of various powerful and unique creatures. I’m a lore junkie, and I want all the lore. I’ve even been known go for as far as to play characters who specialize in history or wish to learn all about the secrets and hidden histories of the worlds so I can gain such lore.

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
I’m probably an outlier, but one of things I really enjoy is learning the histories/mythologies/lore of the world, whether it be the history of the worlds origins, the story of the gods, histories of the various kingdoms and it’s heroes/villains, and the histories and myths of various powerful and unique creatures. I’m a lore junkie, and I want all the lore. I’ve even been known go for as far as to play characters who specialize in history or wish to learn all about the secrets and hidden histories of the worlds so I can gain such lore.
Bless you for it too. Some players couldnt give two turds about the lore.

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Agreed, and for me, lore is vital. It’s sometimes the delivery of the lore that’s off.
I do, as GM, have a tendency to go long when short will do. I have found discord to be a nice relief valve for this. When I want to provide not just some, but all the detail, I can just drop it in a text channel. YMMV.

TiQuinn

I do, as GM, have a tendency to go long when short will do. I have found discord to be a nice relief valve for this. When I want to provide not just some, but all the detail, I can just drop it in a text channel. YMMV.

This is what my DM does as well, though as a player, I think the more it can be integrated into the campaign the better. The problem I’ve found with reading lore is that sometimes it gets a bit long winded as well, perhaps moreso because people think they need to write like a fantasy author.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I voted for everything except...

1. Fighting monsters
2. Finding monetary loot
3. Researching spells/powers
4. Monster hunting
5. Crafting items
6. Romance

Fighting holds little enjoyment for me. It's fun sometimes and is usually necessary for level advancement, which is also fun and not only the list. I also like finding spells and items, not making them. Lastly, romance has always been something really awkward in an RPG, so that's right out.

Remove ads