D&D 5E What do you think the 2020 Summer, Fall, and Winter D&D books will be?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I fully expect to be proven dead wrong about this:

SUMMER
Xanathar’s 2, or whatever they choose to call it. More player subclasses, and with a Planescape feel to it, maybe.

AUTUMN
I hope to see an Adventure Path focusing on either Lantan (the Spelljammer AP everyone’s been hypothesizing about), or a 5e interpretation of the Desert of Desolation series.

WINTER
Volo’s 3, but with a Spelljammer theme for some of the chapters.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I actually am optimistic that this will bring more manufacturing jobs back to the US. Even before we were hit with the disease, we were affected because China was affected. Some global commerce is beneficial, but we were past that point.

I don't want to delve too much in unrelated politics, but I find this doubtful. Manufacturing shifted to foreign countries like China, and it is true that as China moves up the development index that these jobs are moving from them... but they are moving to other less developed South Asian countries. And when they develop more, manufacturing will likely move to countries like Africa or the Middle East.

Although some manufacturing does return to the US, they are far more automated in the past, meaning to work in these factories you need to have a higher education to operate the machinery that decades ago. Manufacturing is no longer the bedrock of the working class, and the highest employer of people with a high-school education is actually long-haul truck driving (another career likely to be completely disrupted by automation like self-driving vehicles).

Anyway, my point is that in a developed country like the US, the loss of these jobs today is more tied to them being easier to automate, rather than just being easier to ship overseas.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Just curious as to why you say that, do you know something the rest of us don't know?

As of this posting, more than 9,000 Americans have passed (and likely more, if you include the preventable deaths of people who died because of recent scarcity of hospital resources).

For Wizard's to release a product that mimics a recent global tragedy is incredibly tone-deaf. People aren't going to want to play a fantasy adventure that mimics a recent pandemic where a friend or family member passed.

I mean, this is Public Relation 101. If Wizard's even had an adventure about a disease planned, developed way before this coronavirus stuff, they would likely cancel it's release rather than risk the public blowback.

I don't want to delve too much in unrelated politics, but I find this doubtful. Manufacturing shifted to foreign countries like China, and it is true that as China moves up the development index that these jobs are moving from them... but they are moving to other less developed South Asian countries. And when they develop more, manufacturing will likely move to countries like Africa or the Middle East.

Although some manufacturing does return to the US, they are far more automated in the past, meaning to work in these factories you need to have a higher education to operate the machinery that decades ago. Manufacturing is no longer the bedrock of the working class, and the highest employer of people with a high-school education is actually long-haul truck driving (another career likely to be completely disrupted by automation like self-driving vehicles).

Anyway, my point is that in a developed country like the US, the loss of these jobs today is more tied to them being easier to automate, rather than just being easier to ship overseas.

I wasn't talking about a return of jobs. I was talking about a return of local production.

gyor

Legend
As of this posting, more than 9,000 Americans have passed (and likely more, if you include the preventable deaths of people who died because of recent scarcity of hospital resources).

For Wizard's to release a product that mimics a recent global tragedy is incredibly tone-deaf. People aren't going to want to play a fantasy adventure that mimics a recent pandemic where a friend or family member passed.

I mean, this is Public Relation 101. If Wizard's even had an adventure about a disease planned, developed way before this coronavirus stuff, they would likely cancel it's release rather than risk the public blowback.

Okay yep, that makes sense. And my condolences .

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I fully expect to be proven dead wrong about this:

SUMMER
Xanathar’s 2, or whatever they choose to call it. More player subclasses, and with a Planescape feel to it, maybe.

AUTUMN
I hope to see an Adventure Path focusing on either Lantan (the Spelljammer AP everyone’s been hypothesizing about), or a 5e interpretation of the Desert of Desolation series.

WINTER
Volo’s 3, but with a Spelljammer theme for some of the chapters.
Having seen the Baldur's Gate 3 trailer with the badass illithid nautilus flying above the city, fighting with githyanki, I would adore something similar for tabletop. I wouldn't be surprised if they held such a book until the game was set to release, though, and that date may well slip with folks working from home.

I think a Xanathar-style book is all but inevitable, though.

Remove ads