What do you think the new setting will be, from Ampersand?

Which setting do you hope is released for 4th ed, next?

• Spelljammer

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Planescape

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Al-Qadim (Arabian adventures)

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Kara-tur (Eastern adventures)

Votes: 16 9.0%

• Poll closed .

Kunimatyu

First Post
Kara-Tur (or a generic "Oriental Adventures" setting with a less offensive name)

4e is screaming for an "anime" style world with samurai, monks, and all the associated stuff like oni and lung dragons.

That being said, unless they've switched PHB3 from psionic to Power Source Asian, maybe not. :)

Roman

First Post
Dark Sun is my all-time favorite official (A)D&D setting. Still, I would prefer not to see it released for the 4th edition. It's not that I want to deny 4E fans the joys of Dark Sun. It also won't impact my games in the near future, since I don't play 4E and even 4E Dark Sun would not going to convince to purchase 4E Core books or even the 4E Dark Sun books. Given how they have mutilated Forgotten Realms, however, I fear what they are going to do to the setting in order to force it into the 4E philosophy and how that could impact the setting once 5E comes along years later. I suppose if 5E was to somehow retcon the entire 4E out of the system (hmm, fans of other setting might also appreciate that - Forgotten Realms, for example) than I wouldn't mind a 4E Dark Sun release at all. ;)

Shroomy

Adventurer
WoTC specifically called out Abeir-Toril, Oerth, Krynn, Eberron, and Athas in the MotP. I wouldn't go beyond that list when trying to determine what they're going to do next.

TDRandall

Explorer
Good grief you young'uns! Why has nobody thought of Mystara/Known World yet (OD&D)?

I haven't gone 4E so I don't know all of the specifics, but if it supposed to includes "anything for anybody" as somebody mentions, I know that that world was certainly starting to feel like it as the Voyage of the Princess Ark Dragon series continued.

Yep - Hollow World, Savage Coast with curse of Red Steel/Smoke Powder, Thyatia, Glantri, Alphatia (whether pre or post Day of Magic), Heldannic Territories, Hul, Ethengar Khanate and Emirates of Ylaruam, Ostland/Vestland, etc. etc. etc. Certainly enough points to light up there!

Well, I voted for Al-Quadim because I think Al-Quadim style adventures with their mix of Harryhausen style cinematic episodes, well done exotic fantasy, and honest Arabian Night-style fables would be a fantastic edition to 4e.

I don't think it's likely, and there are other solutions for Al-Quadim that I think worked better, but I voted for it.

Dark Sun does seem like a possibility, but I have profound misgivings for how that setting could be updated. As others have said, it was pretty much demolished the first time around, and there are elements of Dark Sun that I don't see working at all well with 4e design philosophy.

At this point any edition of Dark Sun would have to be a complete reimagining anyway, and I don't think doing it will grant anyone good will.

Since PHB3 will have the Ki power source in it a totally redone Oriental Adventures - maybe with Al-Quadim elements in it - would seem like a great choice.

Kara-Tur (or a generic "Oriental Adventures" setting with a less offensive name)

4e is screaming for an "anime" style world with samurai, monks, and all the associated stuff like oni and lung dragons.

That being said, unless they've switched PHB3 from psionic to Power Source Asian, maybe not. :)

We know Ki is a power source in PHB3, we simply suspect Psionic is also a power source.

jsaving

Adventurer
Considering Wyatt has been the driving force behind OA, and not any of the other settings, it seems reasonable to guess Kara-Tur might be the next one to be unveiled. Dark Sun makes a certain amount of logical sense given its power sources, but recent developments with Noonan don't suggest Dark Sun is high on WotC's priority list at this point in time. Ravenloft and Al-Qadim aren't popular enough to be settings "people would get excited about", nor is Spelljammer, though it at least has the virtue of being well-liked by most of the designers and hence something they might want to do in the future.

Most of the people in our game are hoping for Dragonlance, and certainly there are a lot of gamers who would be excited to see a 4e sourcebook strongly centered on the War of the Lance period or its immediate aftermath, rather than focusing on the bad writing and assorted detritus that muddled the setting thereafter. But there are challenges too, many of which were faced and only partly overcome by the FR team -- for example, how to make the player characters feel important in a setting where strong NPCs have historically driven most of the action? In this regard perhaps it is a positive sign that Rich Baker is on the team, as he likely has a lot of ideas along these lines that he wasn't permitted to fully implement in the corporate-driven FR relaunch.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm "hoping" for Athas (undefiled) or Ravenloft.

I'd be open to Al Qadim, but I have no experience with it. I suspect Kara-Tur would be a bit less to my liking, but I got some use out of the 1e OA book, so I'd check it out.

If they flavored Greyhawk close to the old gold and red box, that'd be grand, but I think the fanbase/designer base is too fractured for anything good to come of a Greyhawk release.

I was always indifferent to Dragonlance, and remain so.

Birthright was released while I was playing other games, so I've never seen it. From what I've been told, though, it'd be right up my alley.

I'm indifferent at best to Planescape (I don't mind the setting, but I disliked how some of it's setting concepts seeped into core).

I can't fathom why SpellJammer got released in the first place, let alone a rerelease.

I think Ravenloft or Dark Sun are the most likely, though, with Dragonlance next most likely.

Remove ads