• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think the new setting will be, from Ampersand?

Which setting do you hope is released for 4th ed, next?

• Spelljammer

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Planescape

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Al-Qadim (Arabian adventures)

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Kara-tur (Eastern adventures)

Votes: 16 9.0%

• Poll closed .
Dark Sun would be best if it totally ignored ALL the garbage after the boxed set, bar Dune Trader (good supplement)!
As they wrecked an otherwise perfect setting, and and admitted as much, ie death to the Prism Pentad!

mercule,
I can't fathom why Spelljammer got released in the first place, let alone a rerelease.
Um, cause it was damn FUN? ;)
D&D, in space, ala Pirates of the Caribbean, are you completely MAD not to see the fun inherent in that? hehe! :)

RAMMING SPEED!!!
hammership_transparent_420b.png

greywulf

First Post
My Little Pony 4th Edition :D

Seriously, I'd be very happy with Dark Sun, Al-Qadim, Planescape or Spelljammer. They're all excellent settings and well deserving a dust down for 4e. But I'd absolutely love a Birthright rendition. That's what would get my vote.

Blastin

First Post
What, no love for Birthright in the poll? I would have thought that would be a particularly good fit for 4e design and ethos.
I would cry for joy over Birthright, but I doubt it will happen. I see the realms rules getting done eventually, but not the setting itself :.-(
As for Darksun: Re-do it. Keep the basics from the box set, forget all the later crap, and re-write the background so that all the core stuff from the PHB is included at baseline. No reason this couldn't be done so as to encourage more sales of the core books and yet still retain the essential cool elements of the setting. Sure it'll tork off the purists, but that's inevitable.

rounser

First Post
Blackmoor, which is just wacky in a lot of ways and so could accomodate 4E's implied setting without too much harm. "Dragonwhat did you say you were? Okay, whatever...here, hold the holy water fire hose."

That, and they could do a Return to the Garbage Pits of Despair, which is logically the next retro module to pay tribute to on the list.

Shadowsong666

First Post
If they do Dragonlance 4e 2010 i am pretty sure that MWP will do all their adventures and campaign books 4e too, so WoTC provides the core books + 1 adventure and MWP would provide them with an active community and production of supplements for their world.

I don't know - but that sound pretty good for me as i don't know of any Dark Sun publisher with such an arsenal as MWP does for Dragonlance. Its huge and really good.

Besides that - 2009 is the anniversary of Dragonlance - why not announce a dragonlance setting in this year as well? Would make sense, wouldn't it? ^^

Nymrohd

First Post
I'll agree on Dragonlance. With MWP and a good community behind it, they could publish the main setting, and MWP could support it with both adventures and further books. I read through some of their 3.5 adventures and they looked pretty good, so I'd expect this would be great news for Dragonlance.

And I would love Birthright at some point but without the regency system. It fits 4E quite well.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
The problem with Dark Sun is that it clashes with 4e's image. 4e is "Points of very bright light surrounded by very shadowy darkness." It's black and white - good is good, evil is evil. The alignment and gods reflect it. Dark Sun, on the other hand, is "Everything is grey. Or black."

People are saying 4e is gritty, but I'm not seeing it. 4e is just standard fantasy with the "epic battle" knob cranked up a bit. And if they don't want you to count your arrows, how on earth are they going to deal with you counting your food and water supplies?

wedgeski

Adventurer
Much as I would love it to be DL, I just can't see it happening. That setting simply needs to rest for a while... maybe even for a whole edition.

We know Ki is a power source in PHB3, we simply suspect Psionic is also a power source.
That's confirmed? Cool, I missed that. I assumed psionics was a lock considering it was originally intended to be in PHB2, but was bumped to fit more arcane and divine in, and they did a lot of design work on it during PHB1 design time (but they also worked on at least monk at the time, too, if I recall).

Hmm... if ki is confirmed for PHB3, then I might have to change my vote. Although, "power source of PHBx indicating campaign setting y" isn't real clear. After all, primal has more to do with "we need to get barbarians and druids out there" than having any special place in Eberron.

But mulling over Kara Tur, I could really see that. Especially with the named special attacks and such, it can easily have that vibe to it. James Wyatt is their main OA guy over there (although, he's also one of their main story guys, so he'd probably be involved no matter the setting). Well, dagnabit, now I'm getting excited about a possible 4e Kara Tur! And here I was all gearing up for 4e Dark Sun. ;) (Or an all new setting! Those are my top 3 choices. Greyhawk and Dragonlance hold no real special place in my heart - they felt just as "pseudo-medieval fantasy" as Forgotten Realms and not enough variation for my personal tastes.)

Remove ads