• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think the new setting will be, from Ampersand?

Which setting do you hope is released for 4th ed, next?

• Spelljammer

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Planescape

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Al-Qadim (Arabian adventures)

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Kara-tur (Eastern adventures)

Votes: 16 9.0%

• Poll closed .

ki11erDM

Explorer
I don't think Rich Baker or James Wyatt know enough about Greyhawk to write the setting book with respect to the canon.

Good. I want a full reboot. Pre-war. When Greyhawk was actually interesting.

But all the OA talk got me thinking that would be damn cool…

Kaodi

Hero
All I would ask is what reason they would have for not releasing Eberron next. It is the only other setting that was really supported in the 3e/v3.5 years. And hell, warforged were one of the first races to be expanded upon in Dragon. I know that they are considered part of the Core now, but they are a central part of only one setting. I mean, personally I suppose I could wait, because I am not really in a position to buy RPG books right now (even though I have every Eberron sourcebook), but I am just wondering what sort of logic they would be employing in choosing not to push it next. That is not to say there may not be decent reasons, but it would be nice to know what they are.

Obryn

Hero
I think you misunderstand... Eberron's this year. This article is talking about the next setting, after that.

-O

Nebulous

Legend
The big question for me is whether or not they can coerce BROM back to illustrate Dark Sun! I sincerely doubt it, but his vision of Dark Sun was absolutely astounding. Heck, 4e might just resample his stuff anyway. ;)

Kaodi

Hero
Oops. I don't have DDI, so I can't read the articles to begin with. I was just mistaking context from thread, and perhaps forgetting an earlier confirmation.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Dark Sun and Spelljammer really need to be the flagship settings for an entirely new set of rules divorced from D&D but still under WotC. Along with Star Frontiers and Gamma World, there needs to be a new sci-fi "core" like Alternity (and to an extent d20 Modern).

Throw Ravenloft into a new modern line, along with westerns and stuff like that.

That leaves Kara-Tur and Al-Qadim on the list. I can see these working as 4e D&D campaign settings.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
It will be Dark Sun or Dragonlance, and I hope Dark Sun.

Ravenloft doesn't need a specific setting book since they can essntially merge Ravenloft into a future Shadowfell sourcebook. Which works for me.

Likewise, Spelljammer and Planescape probably will never get a dedicated setting book but will be spread out over the planar sourcebooks. With Sigil in the DMG2, Manual of the Planes and the upcoming Elemental Chaos sourcebook among others, you are covered.

Mystara, Greyhawk, and Birthright are too vanilla fantasy and they already did Realms.

Dragonlance is vanilla fantasy but has an active book publishing line to tie it with.

Dark Sun is my prediction and my preferred choice. As far as them not doing justice to it, well the only GOOD Dark Sun setting product was the original one before Troy Denning blew up the world with the Prism Pentad.

The Revised Dark Sun setting that came out later was garbage. The Dragon magazine revisit by David Noonan had the right idea by setting the timeline far enough in the future where the Prism Pentad stuff didn't matter, but it also had a few issues, like trying to bring in paladins and stuff.

With 4e that doesn't bother me as much since the 4e paladin class is more of a holy warrior and less a crusader for good. With suitable reflavoring, I'm ok with the 4e paladin in Dark Sun.

Personally, if I was designing Dark Sun, I would make a few drastic changes. I would have no Crimson Savanna or biotech halflings. The world would be all desert with a few isolated jungle regions in mountain areas where rainfall might occur. But, I would drop the whole oceans of silt thing and actually have salt water oceans. It just makes more sense from a scientific standpoint as to why a desert world would still have breathable oxygen (gigantic algae blooms) unless you intend to rip off Dune and use oxygen generating sandworms or something. There also has to be enough rainfall and water to keep subsistence farming viable.

I would also bring back Oronis of Kurn and keep Tyr as a free city. I think one Avangion SK and the free city would provide an adequate couple points of light in an otherwise bleak Road Warrior style fantasy world. In fact, bringing back Oronis provides a ready made explanation for paladins. They are Templars of Oronis. Dragonborn would be Dray. Tieflings I would drop altogether. And the other races would all need to be reflavored appropriately. You also need to add Muls, Half-giants, and Thri-Kreen.

Aloïsius

First Post
No need for saltwater ocean to have oxygen in a world : it would takes millions, maybe hundred of millions of years to deplete Earth atmosphere of oxygen IMHO. Simply because it accumulated for nearly 4 billions years, and because most oxydable stuff is already oxyded.
However, if they retcon Darksun for 4e and don't like the ocean of silt, I would be happy with giant salt desert.

IRL, when Gibraltar was closed, the mediterranean sea was just that : salt everywhere with miles deep canyon leading the river to toxic waters...

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
The big question for me is whether or not they can coerce BROM back to illustrate Dark Sun! I sincerely doubt it, but his vision of Dark Sun was absolutely astounding. Heck, 4e might just resample his stuff anyway. ;)

Totally agree. The artwork was absolutely incredible - definitely made me want to play in the setting (made me buy it at least). His vision was so cool and different that it really made the setting feel different from others - it wasn't just Greyhawk with different names and different monsters. Anyway, that's just me!

Remove ads