D&D (2024) What do you want to see from the bastion system?

Olrox17

Hero
What we need is a money sink. 5e characters accumulate wealth at a breakneck pace but have little to spend it on beyond plate armor and some basic potions.

I’ve been using the ACKS (adventurer conqueror king system) stronghold building, domain management, and battlefield combat rules for 5e. I think they work great, and would love to see 5.5’s bastion system being a simplified version of those mechanics.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
I mean obviously the base will have a number of rooms equal to your proficiency bonus, each of which will support a number of followers equal to your proficiency bonus of a level equal to your proficiency bonus.
If the base is damaged it will simply take a long rest to recover completely, so no structure will ever not be at full hit points the next day. That is why sieges are so difficult, the attacker probably has to roll two 20's in a row to do enough damage to the base to take it to 0 HP so it can't recover....

Horwath

Legend
What we need is a money sink. 5e characters accumulate wealth at a breakneck pace but have little to spend it on beyond plate armor and some basic potions.

I’ve been using the ACKS (adventurer conqueror king system) stronghold building, domain management, and battlefield combat rules for 5e. I think they work great, and would love to see 5.5’s bastion system being a simplified version of those mechanics.
We buy magic items :D

Horwath

Legend
That is one way to consume money, yes, but it’s also a way to inflate PC power level very quickly, especially in 5e with its bounded accuracy.
Plus, magic item markets and PCs fully decked out in magical gear work for some campaign settings, but much less so for others.
Just make items without +X to attack, AC, saves, DCs, and ability scores.
Items that set abilities to 19, reduce to 16.

everything else works great; bonus damage, bonus attack(s), bonus speed, bonus HPs or damage reduction. New abilities or spells. Extra spell slots.

Not sure why we need this system? I don't hate it and think it's cool but I've been doing this since the first starter set. My players were gifted the Red Brand hideout. They've had to spend money to maintain it and pay retainers.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'd like to think that this won't stop at the costs/logistics of building a stronghold, and will venture further into rulership territory (ideally with a heaping helping of advice for how to make rulership be the gateway to new types of adventuring, rather than the death of it).

I'd like to think that this won't stop at the costs/logistics of building a stronghold, and will venture further into rulership territory (ideally with a heaping helping of advice for how to make rulership be the gateway to new types of adventuring, rather than the death of it).
This, seems to me, to encourage an entirely new game, and where perhaps the traditional style would become a mini-game within this now unlocked style. I'm not convinced D&D is the best game suited to explore such style, but would be happy to be proven incorrect.

EDIT: Let me add, the reason I have concerns is because of the level of power individual PCs are able to wield. I could see this working within a low level magic setting or even a game such as E6 where levels are capped at a certain point - but in 5e the publishers appear not have a great handle on high level play nevermind adding dominions to the mix.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This, seems to me, to encourage an entirely new game, and where perhaps the traditional style would become a mini-game within this now unlocked style. I'm not convinced D&D is the best game suited to explore such style, but would be happy to be proven incorrect.
It was once. Maybe it could be again.

Remove ads