D&D (2024) What do you want to see from the bastion system?

Yaarel

He Mage
I think you should have to invest in it, rather than it just auto-levelling.
Bastian options could have both a gp cost and a level prereq.

Also, Bastian might work more as part of a "Lifestyle" maintainance cost, rather than an itemized piece by piece cost.

The goal is to improve meaningfully while leveling, especially at each tier. But also as a way to spend gp treasure.

The amount of gp to spend largely depends on the setting.

There seems several factors to consider and several ways to implement this.

Horwath

Legend
The Bastion should improve while leveling across tier: Student 1-4, Professional 5-8, Master 9-12, grandmaster 13-16, legend 17-20.
for simple template:

tier0(level 1-4): 10×10ft, single level
tier1(level 1-4): 20×20ft, 2 storeys
tier2(level 5-8): 30×30ft, 3 storeys
tier3(level 9-12): 40×40ft, 4 storeys
tier4(level 13-16): 50×50ft, 5 storeys
tier5(level 17-20): 60×60ft, 6 storeys
tier6(level 20+): 100×100ft, 10+ storeys

codo

Hero
for simple template:

tier0(level 1-4): 10×10ft, single level
tier1(level 1-4): 20×20ft, 2 storeys
tier2(level 5-8): 30×30ft, 3 storeys
tier3(level 9-12): 40×40ft, 4 storeys
tier4(level 13-16): 50×50ft, 5 storeys
tier5(level 17-20): 60×60ft, 6 storeys
tier6(level 20+): 100×100ft, 10+ storeys
This is way to regimented and metagamey. The DM should not have to tell their players they need to kill 50 more orcs before you can build an extension on their house.

codo

Hero
I think that the bastion system should primarily interact with the downtime system. I can see it as being used to help organize downtime activities and tie them together with lifestyle expenses.

I am picturing a modular system that lets players and the DM build their base over time. I'm picturing 4 types of options to pick.

1. The type of base. Offer a wide list of different types of bases, each with its own benefits, drawbacks, and new options, and hirelings.
A Tavern, an entire Village/Neighborhood, a Castle, a Cave, a Hidden glen, a Ship(Normal and Spelljammer), a church, a school, a guild hall, Ancient Ruins

2. Location of base. Can add and restrict the type of options players can add to base.
A City, The countryside, The Forest, A Swamp, The Mountains, Underground, a Ruined City,

3. Options for the base. Provide options that are useful for each class, as well as for various skill/tool proficiencies, and ways to gain and manage different hirelings.
A wizards lab, a temple, a thieves den, stables, troop barracks, a jail, various workshops,

4. Adventure Hooks for the base. Unique aspects about the base that can add spice and lead to adventure.
A portal to the shadowfell/feywild, Its Haunted, Used to be owned by rival who wants it back, Under threat of invasion, Used to be owned by someone famous

Horwath

Legend
This is way to regimented and metagamey. The DM should not have to tell their players they need to kill 50 more orcs before you can build an extension on their house.
it's a guide for examples.

when you reach level 5, you are out of beginners tier. you have 3rd level spells and/or extra attack.
People recognize that you are capable and more "clubs" or "favors" are open to you.

Clint_L

Hero
I suspect Bastions won't be in the PHB, it sounds more like DMG material to me.
Definitely not in the PHB. It's a very niche play style and, while I like that it hearkens back to D&D roots, I think it would really be a confusing addition to the PHB. I don't think it should be in the core rule books at all, even the DMG. It seems like something that needs a fair bit of detail to work, and so it should get its own book or else it'll just be another half-assed concept. And it doesn't really seem on brand for books that are overwhelmingly based on individual and party-level adventuring.

You could even make it into a separate game that links to the D&D campaign...which is where the concept originally stems from. D&D started with the idea that the heroes were being developed to integrate back into an ongoing war-gaming campaign.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases