What does a paladin do (or should be doing)?

F700

First Post
And I could say the same about the Avenger. Or the samurai or the runepriest or one of any other somewhere around 100-200 classes through all the editions and third party supplements.

Roleplaying alone is not enough reason to have a class. You can't force a player to roleplay through rules. If you do that, you end up with whiny players complaining how their character sucks because they can't do {insert random thing}. Or you get the 1st Ed Cavalier, which is basically a pre-video game bot.

Oh, I have no problem ditching the Avenger, or Runepriest, or even the Samurai. Though the Samurai is very flavorful.

I think if the niche filled by the character archetype is distinct enough then, yes, it does warrant inclusion.

No, you can't force a player to roleplay through rules. Which is why I said anyone who doesn't want to rp a paladin shouldn't play one.

I loved my AD&D paladin. Strictures associated due to code of conduct and alignment? No problem, I'm playing a chivalrous good guy.

Limit of 10 magic items? Dang...ah, well, plenty of other perks to make up for it. Tithing 10% of my loot...fine with me.

No associating with evil pcs unless it's for a really, really good cause? Fine with me, great way to keep those evil yet fashionable Drow out of the party.

Even without the lay on hands, protection from evil, and fearlessness, I still woulda played them.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
And now we're back around to the start again and ask the question: If all a paladin is is roleplaying and backstory, why does it need to be a class?

Popularity, tradition and the money WOTC will make from exploiting those two things.

The head designer will say to his team, "We need a Paladin (or Ranger/ Monk/ Bard/ Assassin), come up with some mechanics for it." It's a top down business decision not a game design one.

You'll also need a Paladin class if you want to play a holy warrior and the DM is going "Old School" and outlawing themes and backgrounds. You'll also need a Paladin class if you want to play a Fighter/ Cleric and the DM has banned multiclassing.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
No, you can't force a player to roleplay through rules. Which is why I said anyone who doesn't want to rp a paladin shouldn't play one.

I loved my AD&D paladin. Strictures associated due to code of conduct and alignment? No problem, I'm playing a chivalrous good guy.

Limit of 10 magic items? Dang...ah, well, plenty of other perks to make up for it. Tithing 10% of my loot...fine with me.

No associating with evil pcs unless it's for a really, really good cause? Fine with me, great way to keep those evil yet fashionable Drow out of the party.

Even without the lay on hands, protection from evil, and fearlessness, I still woulda played them.

Correct on all points, 1E Paladin is one of if not the best D&D class of all time.

As Henry Ford once said, "You can play any kind of Paladin you want so long as it's a Lawful Good Tithing Holy Warrior in a suit of shiny armor and riding a magic horse."

Abstruse

Legend
Oh, I have no problem ditching the Avenger, or Runepriest, or even the Samurai. Though the Samurai is very flavorful.

I think if the niche filled by the character archetype is distinct enough then, yes, it does warrant inclusion.
Why is "a holy warrior in heavy armor" distinct enough but "holy zealous assassin" isn't?

Daggerswan

First Post
Why is "a holy warrior in heavy armor" distinct enough but "holy zealous assassin" isn't?

[MENTION=6669048]Abstruse[/MENTION]
I think you are going in the wrong direction here. Pro-Paladin does not mean anti-Avenger.

[MENTION=7175]jadrax[/MENTION]
Thanks for the catch; my apologies for the misinformation. I posted that from work so I was going purely on memory. Maybe I was remembering the +4 to hit instead. But I am posting this from work so... :)

Steely_Dan

First Post

Both rock, the Avenger started with the Holy Slayer (a kit) in Al-Qadim, one of the most kick-ass campaign settings ever.

I want a Paladin class, I do not particularly want an Avenger class, but a Theme (especially as they were a kit in 2nd, and a paladin build in 4th Ed until the PHB 2) seems perfect.

Remove ads