D&D 5E What does magic immunity count against?

Aenorgreen

First Post
A Rakshasa is immune to spells of 6th level and lower. Now I know that means it can't be damaged with a Fireball or Cursed or Hold Personed. But what about spells that do not affect it directly? Can a rakshasa see through magical Darkness or a Fog Cloud without penalty? Can it walk through a Wall of Ice or a Wall of Force? I am interested in how others would rule this and what support there is for that ruling. Thanks.

fba827

Adventurer
I am saying this from memory but I thought immunity specifically was defined as immunity from damage and conditions specified. So not immunity to a wall, for instance.
If I am remembeing correctly than for immunity to spells if the specific levels Id say he's immune to damage and conditions of those spells...
... But again I'm saying this from memory so take that with a grain of salt

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
It should be taken as whenever the spells work against the rakshasa. He is untouchable by them. If a wall is there, he can move passed it. But he can't dispel it automatically by touching it. Only he is immune to it.

The argument that "immunity to magic" means "immunity to Wall Spells" has come up in every edition and has been shot down in every edition. I remember decades ago when this was brought up in 1e and a decade ago when it was brought up again in 3e. Fifth Edition will not be any different.

Monster Immunities are described on pg 8 of the Monster Manual. It makes it clear that immunity to damage, conditions, and game effects (anything that isn't considering damage or a condition) are not the same thing. Furthermore, granting immunity to game effects requires a "special trait" that will list the game effect the creature is immune to. The Rakshasa's "Limited Magic Immunity" grants no immunity to game effects since immunity applies to damage and conditions, but not game effects. Therefore, a Rakshasa would be immune to the Cold Damage caused by a Wall of Ice, but it couldn't walk through said Ice Wall since the Wall of Ice is described as an "object," which is a game effect as found on page 185 of the Player's Handbook. A spell that Restrains the Rakshasa like Evard's Black Tentacles wouldn't work because Restrained is a Condition, nor would it cause bludgeoning damage since immunity applies to damage. Fog Cloud would still affect a Rakshasa because Fog Cloud creates a game effect (area is heavily obscured). Immunity to Fog Cloud would be a "special trait" such as Blindsight or Tremorsense and be listed separately as described on pg 8 of the Monster Manual.

Summary:
Damage? Is immune
Conditions? Is immune
Game Effects? Is not immune

Wall Spells create objects which are game effects, normal rules apply.

Last edited:

Riley37

First Post
If you cast Purify Food and Drink on a hunk of bread, then that hunk of bread has been purified.

If, subsequently, a rakasha eats that hunk of bread, *the bread is still pure*.

If you use Prestidigitation to soil a robe, and the rakasha puts on the robe, then the robe is still soiled.

If you cast Conjure Animal, in the form of Summon Bigger Fish, and the Bigger Fish swallows the rakasha and swims to the bottom of the lake, then the rakasha is in the fish's belly at the bottom of the lake.

If you cast Fireball at the rakasha, it laughs off the *direct damage* effect of the spell.

If the rakasha was crossing a rope ladder across a chasm, then the rope ladder is now ash blowing in the wind.

Spell immunity is not the same thing as an Anti-Magic Field.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
A Wall of Fire is just a wall of magically created/sustained fire. He can walk through it without suffering the magical damage quite easily.

A Wall of Force is just a wall/curtain of magical energy/force. I would probably let them sort of "push" their way through it with minimal effort.

A Wall of Ice/Stone/Iron is a magically created wall with a solid physical form. They can not just move through it without becoming incorporeal...which, to my knowledge, they can not do.

Edit: As for seeing in magical Darkness, I would rule yes.

Seeing through a Fog Cloud or Obscuring Mist, I would say no.

Seeing through visual illusions, including things like Disguise [but not Alter] Self, I would say yes...but that's because they are masters of illusion/deception themselves than "magic immunity", really.

Last edited:

Remove ads