• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What does the paladin do when...

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Hmmm...honestly, this is a horrible situation with almost no way to win. The strategy would ultimately depend upon what magic I had at my disposal.

My goal would be the following:
1. Save the child first at all costs, and remove the child from harm's way.
2. Most likely the wife is dead, but if not, save the wife next.
3. Hunt down the sorcerer hoping that he didn't have a back-up half-elven baby. (who can tell with a DM evil enough to put a player in this situation)
4. Make sure from that point on my baby and wife (If alive) are better defended than when they were kidnapped. (Son of a bitch DM.)

S'mon

Legend
Lord Pendragon said:
Is this meant to be an ethical puzzle or an actual game scenario?

If it's an ethical puzzle, then I have to choose between:
A) Saving my wife, but possibly starting a demon war.
B) Abandoning my wife to save my son, and possibly avert the war.
C) Attack the mage, effectively ignoring both wife and child.

Paladins (LG) act for the Greater Good, so whichever one will have the best chance to avert the demon invasion - probably attacking the mage. LG : needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Grit his teeth and do it.

NGs: weigh up needs of the many vs the few. Probably do same as LG here, more likely to cry over it though.

CG: Needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many. Probably try to save his beloved wife (IF no resurrection available) first, she being the individual to whom he has the closest bond.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
S'mon said:
Paladins (LG) act for the Greater Good,
Actually, there is ethical debate regarding "Greater Good." Some moralists believe that you cannot simply quantify lives, so that six people have more right to happiness than one, for instance. And...

No.... ....no.... ...NOOOOOOOOOO!

I won't be pulled in. I agree. I agree with everything. Hahahahahahahah!!

Chris Coulter

First Post
You save the world.
You will save your child.
You will end the Wizard's menace.

Stopping the child's death prevents the abyssal disaster that could kill thousands and take hundreds of years to turn back.

The Job (being a paladin) is bigger than any one, sometimes any ten, and rarely, any hundred lives. The Job calls for sacrifice in time of need. What others could never give must be cast aside without hesitation in order to serve the greater good.

Others could not give up fortunes
Others could not give up lives.
Others could not give up loved ones.

In an instant you will pay a price others could not even imagine.
You will make a choice that a lesser man could never face.
You will make this choice and you will save the lives of countless innocents who will never know your name or see your face, but because of you they will live and prosper and look into the faces of their smiling children who know not of fear nor strife.

You will pay.
You will give up the one woman in all the world who filled your heart like the sun fills up the world.
Your heart will tear and ache and turn to ash.
You will be empty.
You will be alone.

And then the smoke will part.

You will look upon the land and it will shine back at you.

You will look upon the people and they will see you. They will know what has happened and they will be made humble in your presence. They will show you the honor due to one who has given what they could not so that they could live another day.

You will stand in the grace of your god, and the land shall know of his glory and mercy through your example.

And for all your sorrow, you will look down into the eyes of your blessed child and see it's rich and joyous future.

You will hurt, but you will heal.

S'mon

Legend
Lord Pendragon said:
Actually, there is ethical debate regarding "Greater Good." Some moralists believe that you cannot simply quantify lives, so that six people have more right to happiness than one, for instance.

Those would be Chaotic Good moralists. :)

LuYangShih

First Post
If I was playing the character, and somehow this scenario happened, I would likely have him drop to one knee, and call out on his Goddess, and say something like:

"Dear Goddess, I have served you loyally and faithfully throughout the years, righting many wrongs and helping others as best I could, in your name. The foul unbeliever before me threatens the most sacred tenets of that which I believe, and that which I strive to protect. I cannot possibly win this battle and preserve my love and family at the same time, so I humbly beg you to intervene and allow me a chance to beat this man in fair combat without having to lose my wife or child."

And if my Goddess did nothing, the whole religion is a crock, so why am I doing this anyway? I might cut down the speech if I only have a 6 second combat round to make it in, too. ;)

s/LaSH

First Post
I'd save the child. It's for the greater good in my book.

That said, what's to say my wife would want to be resurrected? I just let her get cut in half. And resurrection is all up to the ressurectee.

It's bound to end in tears. That said, even if you come from the moral standpoint of 'even a single innocent life is too high a price', someone's probably going to die no matter who you save.

Then there's the paladin whose code requires him to fight evil, first and foremost, and who therefore lets the sacrifice go ahead because he can kick d3mon butt. (l33t intentional.) But I'm sure that's a rare case.

Zhure

First Post
- Convince the evil wizard the child is full elf and his only hope is to flee with his life. Atone later for lying.

- Cast Freedom of Movement on the baby. (You did prepare that one, right?)

- Stall the wizard while your mount sneaks up behind it.

- Bullrush the wizard in front of the pendulum.

What kind of Paladin doesn't have beefy magic items and helpful associates? Those will all come in handy.

There are no no-win scenarios.

Greg

Remove ads