• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What does the paladin do when...

Angcuru

First Post
y'know I never stated that the fate of the world was on the line, or how long the portal would hold. I also stated that this army of yours is quite powerful. they might be capable of holding off the demons until reinforcements arrive to fix the whole situation.

Green Knight

First Post
and it is only an idiotic moron who only follows the 'offical' rules, 'just because'.

I apologize for all of us "idiotic morons" who didn't plunk down $240 on the Quintessential line of books as well as whatever other books which YOU feel are essential. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Epic Level Paladin, right? Which means he's got access to some of the most powerful magic items. Here're some thoughts:

Ring of Telekinesis - Use the violent trust ability to blast your wife and child in your direction. Try to catch the baby. Even if he hits the ground, it's only d6 damage, which at most puts him at -5. Lay on Hands next round and he's fine (Hmm. "Violent Thrust". Isn't that how the Paladin got INTO the situation in the first place? Wouldn't have happened if he hadn't had a half-elf baby. Oh, that was bad!).

Ring of Three Wishes - What Epic character WOULDN'T have this? Simply Wish your family to safety.

Bag of Tricks - The Paladin would've probably let loose a couple of animals before the penultimate fight, as they last for 10 minutes. So the Paladin could've had a couple of them ready when he confronted the Sorcerer. He could've had one go and save his wife while he went to save the baby (None of them could save the baby, as only the bat flies, and I doubt it's strong enough to carry him).

Boots of Speed - The Paladin uses them to Haste himself, usng his extra Parial Action to get his wife out, then grabs the baby.

Figurines of Wondrous Power - Same as Bag of Tricks. The Figurine critter saves one while the Paladin saves the other.

Just a couple examples I found before I got bored of the topic. There're probably a bunch more. Might be some Paladin spells out there somewhere that this Paladin might've memorized beforehand and which might be useful, too. For instance, the Paladin spell Shackle from Van Richten's Arsenal. Leaves teh target paralyzed for a number of rounds with no saving throw. Means that the Sorcerer can't drop the baby and can't slice open my wife, as his hand can't lower the pendulum. Paladin can now save his wife and baby at his leisure, etc.

MerakSpielman

First Post
It is true that the Epic level Paladin should have some pretty hefty magical equipment. It is also very easy to say he has just the right equipment to solve this situation (Iron Bands of Bilarro, anyone?). But that's retroactive thinking. You see the problem, then you know what the paladin should have brought with him in order to solve it.

The only 2 ways to properly discuss this scenario are therefore:

1) Write out complete stat blocks for the Paladin, the Sorcerer, and perhaps the wife, including feats, skills, spells prepared, and equipment lists. THEN present this problem and see how the paladin can solve it, within the context of D&D rules.

or

2) Treat it like a movie scene, where the hero barges in on the Evil Plot with only his armor and trusty sword (which is how the scene looked in my mind when you described it). Then present the exact problem and see how the paladin can solve it, using moves and tactics that may not be supported by D&D rules, but are possible assuming an agile and coordinated hero using real-life-based descriptions.

edit: (i.e., I don't think we can discuss this within the context of D&D rules without knowing the exact specifics of the situation, in D&D terms. We don't have that - it's all ifs. If he has this item he can... If he has this spell he can.... If he has this feat he can... If we're using these particular rules he can.... If his mount is a gold dragon, polymorphed into a cat that's accompanying him, he can... We have no specifics, so discussion in terms of D&D rules is almost totally pointless.)

Last edited:

If lopping off leggs with called shots are useable then this makes it even easier. Do the cinematic things and toss you weapon at the mage. My Paladin uses a Great Axe. Hurl that mama and split the sorcerers head wide open. As a move action I cover my wife with my body (if i'm epic I have to have more hit points than her, unless she is also epic).

I thought this was going to be a tough senerio

CmdrSam

First Post
Start by asking the sorceror: "Why? WHY do you want to do this?"

With the help of my Diplomacy +60 and some good roleplaying, I tell him in a pained voice all the endearing facts about my child's upbringing and all the reasons I love my wife, in a heartfelt attempt to convince him he shouldn't do this. He starts telling me about his life, and soon I have him sobbing on the ground telling me he only did it because he's never been loved by anyone, and that he's so very, very sorry.

If it goes really well, I convert him to my religion.

--Sam L-L

Angcuru

First Post
Villain looks at you, shrugs, and stabs your kid. Did I forget to mention that he has a headband of persuasion-prevention?:D

Remove ads