Unearthed Arcana What does Unearthed Arcana need?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Warlock as written, doesn't necessitate a particular relationship: it can be somebody hacking Cthulu's cable, or a heritage, or just about anything. The "undying light" Warlock from UA doesn't even have a specific entity...

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
It worked out grea-_Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

cthulhu16.jpg

IMO, the 5e warlock fluff is entirely geared toward playing a character that has a master. That is what the patron is. You have power because the patron gave it to you, not by any merit of your own, and your new class features as you level are also gifts from the being you swore yourself to. IDK, for me, the 4e warlock was closer to the right path with abstractly defined pacts. A fey pact might serve a powerful Fey, or might be one.

Might just be a few lines that rubbed me wrong, or something, but I definitely want at least a "patron" that is specifically not having one.

Either way, the game needs a dang binder! lol

On the other hand, the wannabe warlock (before having any class levels or any special abilities) managed to survive contact with something exceptionally dangerous and/or insanity-inducing, and somehow got power out of the contact. You can claim that is "not by any merit of your own", but that assumption is questionable. If everyone who ran into a demon got to be a warlock, I am pretty demons would have a different reputation.

Remove ads