D&D 5E [+]What does your "complex fighter" look like?

Do people feel that the fighter needs more widgets over the 20 levels, or "simply" different widgets available to choose from?

I feel like we are talking about an issue that has crossed several editions of D&D, and those editions have had all different kinds of widgets. I am not sure that widgets are the answer.

"Theorizing that one could fix the fighter within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished... He woke to find himself surrounded by feats and alternate class features, facing mirror images that were not his own and driven by an unknown force to somehow make the Fighter better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from another forum, who appears in the form of a broken JPEG everyone but Sam can see or hear. And so Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from subclass to subclass, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next tweak will be the tweak home."

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
"Theorizing that one could fix the fighter within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished... He woke to find himself surrounded by feats and alternate class features, facing mirror images that were not his own and driven by an unknown force to somehow make the Fighter better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from another forum, who appears in the form of a broken JPEG everyone but Sam can see or hear. And so Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from subclass to subclass, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next tweak will be the tweak home."
Ok, this is really funny since my family has been watching Quantum Leap for weeks now... :D

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Ok. Well, we'll have to disagree over whether a person covered with cuts and bruises is wounded. I guess we should just call healing spells, "Cure cuts and bruises" now.
Might as well, given how terrible they are at actually healing people. And it's not like you can reasonably call anything a wound if a Fighter can just Second Wind it away, let alone spend some Hit Dice after a one-hour catnap.

Might as well, given how terrible they are at actually healing people. And it's not like you can reasonably call anything a wound if a Fighter can just Second Wind it away, let alone spend some Hit Dice after a one-hour catnap.
that's the thing. For 22 years we have had non injury injuries... and for all 48 years we have had "I was at deaths door 5 minutes ago, but have no penalties to movement, and/or ability"

now I'm not complaining that I want more realism or a death spiral, but we can't assume we have real HP simulating anything.

James Gasik

Supporter
But the marketing team will be so disappointed if we stop calling it Cure Wounds.
I don't even think it's marketing or brand, but just the player base who wants familiar names for things, otherwise it "won't feel like D&D". But that's neither here nor there.

The truth is, hit points are totally abstract, and the game has always shunned any mention of specific injuries. While being bandaged, drinking a potion, and being magically healed restore hit points and "injuries", so does regular old sleep.

D&D characters also never seem to succumb to blood loss, making me think that they have more blood in their bodies than a character from Bleach or a Tarantino film!

James Gasik

Supporter
Please, not another 'what do hitpoints mean' discussion. :p

Some people just get axes stuck to their skull and walk it off. That's what dwarves call disarming.
Sorry, I know it's a derail. It's just the way my brain works, someone says "hit point damage has always caused wounds/hit points are meat" and I'm like, that's not really true.

I'll set the debate aside with a "depending on the interpretation of the DM and their players".

Remove ads