D&D 5E [+]What does your "complex fighter" look like?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I mean it's a 9th level ability so in theory a 1/day ability at 9th level should be in line with 4th or 5th level spells
Not exactly in line. Fighters get many more class abilities than wizards do, which means that the wizard 5th level wizard spells need to not only be strong enough to match a fighter's 9th level ability, but also compensate in part for the extra class abilities gained by the fighter base class. Wizards have 8 dead levels that fighters don't have.

A full 40% of wizard class levels don't give anything but spell slots and a couple of new spells for the book.

Not exactly in line. Fighters get many more class abilities than wizards do,
wait what?!?! the wizard at 9th level gets 4 cantrips, 4 1st level spells 3 2nd level spells 3 3rd level spells 3 4th level spells and a 5th levels spell arcane recover and 2 subclass features for a total of 21 class features
the fighter gets fighting style, second wind, action surge extra attack, indomitable, and 2 subclass features and a bonus ASI/feat for a total of 8

in what world does a fighter have MORE?
even if we take the spells per day out and just sat 1st level spells 2nd level spells 3rd level spells 4th level spells, 5th level spell, Cantrips, arcane recovery and 2 subclass features that's 9!

edit; I forgot ritual casting
which means that the wizard 5th level wizard spells need to not only be strong enough to match a fighter's 9th level ability, but also compensate in part for the extra class abilities gained by the fighter base class. Wizards have 8 dead levels that fighters don't have.
what dead level?!?! every level they add 2 spells to there spell book and get extra slots
A full 40% of wizard class levels don't give anything but spell slots and a couple of new spells for the book.
oh only yhe most useful and powerful class features.

Celebrim

Legend
True, but every single one of those levels is when the wizard has access to higher level spells and slots. IMO that was meant to be their feature.

Exactly. Each spell slot a wizard gains is roughly equal to a feat or a class ability in power. Each spell that is added to the game expands the list of class abilities for the spellcasters that can cast that spell. This is especially true of 'knows all spells' classes, which is why I had to do away with 3e's concept that the Cleric automatically knew all clerical spells. Otherwise, the Cleric was just busted as soon as you added a spell to their spell list.

Exactly. Each spell slot a wizard gains is roughly equal to a feat or a class ability in power.
except what level of spell is one YOU would trade for indomitable?
Each spell that is added to the game expands the list of class abilities for the spellcasters that can cast that spell.
a major issue
This is especially true of 'knows all spells' classes, which is why I had to do away with 3e's concept that the Cleric automatically knew all clerical spells.

Celebrim

Legend
except what level of spell is one YOU would trade for indomitable?

Again, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? And what do you think you are agreeing or disagreeing with?

I totally agree that Indomitable is equivalent to a low level spell. I totally would not have designed the power the way that they did. What's that got to do with anything?

It almost feels like you are disagreeing merely for the joy of being disagreeable.

@GMforPowergamers:

To be honest, I'm having a hard time turning this thing between us into a conversation or even a debate.
same you seem more and more to just be picking and picking to try to 'get points' somehow
There is just this strange disconnect between what I said and how you respond.
I feel the same
This is hardly more clear than when you asserted as a fact the unreality of magic and I responded by saying that was a religious claim that was not appropriate to the board or necessary to the discussion, and you responded to that by saying: "knock it off no religon [sic] talk on here". Which in context is a lot like saying in response, "I'm rubber and you're glue, what you say bounces off me and sticks to you." Did you understand my point?
you didn't understand mine. I did NOT mention or even hint at real world religions... you in response named 2. I didn't make it at all about religion YOU DID.
If you didn't understand my point, why did you respond?
my response is clear DON'T TURN TALK ABOUT MAGIC IN THE GAME INTO ONE ABOUT REAL WORLD BELIFE AND RELIGION... no real world religion that I know of believe you can cast magic missile or fireball.
And if you didn't understand my point, why did you respond as you did. It's not really an important point to the conversation, but it is typical of the terse and odd responses you've made that I'm really having trouble making head or tails of your intent.
you tried to turn a very clear statement into a religious argument.
So first of all, we seem to have made something of a breakthrough. You admit that there is such a thing as a supernatural or magical combat maneuver. I'm glad to see it. I was beginning to wonder.
sure there are I talk about them all the time. I think you should have both (or well 3 but not important) options on level up.
First, how do you know that an ability is supernatural and magical?
the system tells you
I'd be really surprised if your reasoning is much different than my reasoning, which you dismissed as "'cause I said so".
again it's not ME saying so it's teh system. Come and Get it wasn't... it was a martial Exploit, Green FLame Blade is it is an arcane spell
Secondly, my argument is that if a power is obviously supernatural or magical, calling it non-supernatural or magical doesn't change that.
the word obviously is the problem... it's YOU making a choice and deciding we must all agree.

I see no reason that "Once per day/long rest you automatically hit with an attack" has to be supernatural at all (again it seems to be the robin hood ability
In other words, it's the substance of the power that determines if it is magical or non-magical not a label you slap on it.
wrong, it's how the fiction handles it that matters, those lables are the fiction.

A jedi uses the force to pull a weapon from an enemy's hand
Harry Potter casts a spell disarming his opponent
Conan slams his axe down disarming his opponent

1 was the force, 1 was magic, 1 was training, same effect
For example, I suspect you'd agree that a 3rd level martial maneuver whose text read, "1/day you can cast fireball as the spell", would not be non-supernatural just because we called it non-supernatural.
I mean sure, but no one is suggesting it is... I don't understand this line at all.
I suspect you'd agree that that would be or at least ought to be one of those supernatural or magical abilities, and I might even get you to agree that in such a hypothetical case the fact that I'd made a pass through wrapper for a spell didn't make it less of a spell. The facade here doesn't change the underlying thing, no matter how much I disguise it.
but if you had 'a number of times per day equal to your prof you can make a jump and go three times your normal max' special option a fighter could take that doesn't mean they are casting jump.
I didn't claim he was. I don't know why you think this sentence refutes anything I said.
he hits... he keeps hitting he doesn't miss with his shots... you said any 'auto hit' ability would be magic
Are you asserting that Robin Hood has abilities that let him choose once a day to not miss?
yes... he doesn't miss
That is to say, do you think he used a power to split the arrow or was it an exercise in mundane (albeit it extraordinary) skill?
yes
Because I think if you are asserting Robin Hood has daily powers that let him impose his will on reality because he wants to, you are saying he is magic.
no he isn't magic he is a protagonist.
But if you are saying that Robin Hood is merely a skillful archer then there is no need to imagine a special "can't miss this shot" power that he can access only a few times a day.
in the narrative he doesn't miss. he doesn't have a 'chance of missing' he always gets the shaft and splits the arrow.
That is questionable. Beyond mundane doesn't necessarily equal a spell, but it probably indicates some sort of magic exactly because this is a fantasy game. But what is your point, since you seem to be neither agreeing nor disagreeing with anything I said. What made you say that?
davy crocket and robin hood and Odysseus don't use magic... they do bigger then life things (or batman or hawkeye in more modern stories)
no magic... just a hero protagonist training and smart and able to do things amazing
Again, not sure what point you are trying to prove? Can the wrestler do the thing without special FX, hidden ropes, and other props?
most likely not... I mean if they could why would they need those props and FX?
If he can't then of course it isn't magic. But if we hypothesize a martial ability that lets the martial character conjure those props into being whether they have them or not, then we probably would call that magic.
again, we know in the real world it is staged, and tricks... but we buy into the story of the wrestlers doing these things. All I am asking is that we do the same with fighters.
davy crocket and robin hood and Odysseus don't use magic... they do bigger then life things (or batman or hawkeye in more modern stories)
no magic... just a hero protagonist training and smart and able to do things amazing
Like for example, if we a power like, "Spread Bear Traps" that said, "Once per day you can fill a square with bear traps that create difficult terrain and which do 2d8 damage to anyone that enters the square.", that is actually a magical ability in disguise because the power doesn't require you to actually have bear traps to spread around and it is implied you can't do it twice or three times if you carry extra bear traps (on a mule or something). On the other hand, no one would think it a magical power if you could just buy bear traps and use them. Do you see the difference, and do you see why one is actually a spell?
nope... I do not see EITHER as a spell. I see it as abstract mechanic vs concreate mechanic but if it isn't magic it isn't magic...

in Call of Cthulhu and some other games there is a roll you can make to rewrite the scene... it isn't magic, your character isn't rewriting the scene (ala bill and ted saying to remember the trash can) it is just the way it always has been... no magic
Again, so?
you asked why everyone can't do everything... because the game is set up so that there are silos of abilities. barbarians rage, not rangers or fighters. if you want to rage you multi into barbarian (or take a multi class feat or something)

that is what I am asking for, to increase the siloed abilities of the fighter.
What are you trying to say by saying this? The classes are typically seen as abstractions of the actual abilities of the characters.
yes like your bear trap power would be an abstraction.... it wouldn't be 'magically make a trap' it's 'you had the trap' just like if you want to rage you take a level in barbarian...
That is to say, particularly with a martial class, not something that exists in the fiction per se, but rather is an abstraction of the sort of abilities we might think common to people of certain professions and backgrounds within the setting. Even with something like 'wizard' or 'cleric' which exists both in and outside of the fiction, we are simply saying that a wizard is 'someone who has trained and studied as a wizard'. We aren't actually saying that in the fiction that the character has the class wizard. The class is not a thing in the fictional universe.
again you jump from in game to out of game at break neck speeds to try to make your points... I don't think you are doing it well.

You asked why not anyone could rage. I explained why.
Aren't you agreeing with me here?
yes and no I am trying to show your ideal of how D&D works isn't how D&D worked in any edition I ever played, so i don't understand why you are arguing against increasing thee silo of fighter abilities.
Again, what prompted you to say this? What point are you trying to make by agreeing with me here, if that is what you are doing? You are referring to my discussion of sneak attack, right? Aren't you just repeating back to me what I just said?
I am showing that we have silo of abilities in classes. They are NOT based on in game fiction (or no action surge, anyone coulld sneak attack, anyone could rage) so the entire argument falls apart.

Again, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? And what do you think you are agreeing or disagreeing with?
if as you said
Each spell slot a wizard gains is roughly equal to a feat or a class ability in power.
then a 1/day ability a class got at level 9 should be equal to a 4th or 5th level spell... this one is not as good as most 1st and 2nd level spells...
I totally agree that Indomitable is equivalent to a low level spell. I totally would not have designed the power the way that they did. What's that got to do with anything?
except as long as we are playing a game where it IS the way they design the class... I am asking they should make it even (or atleast close) no 9th level class feature should be 1/day AND not as awesome as a 5th level spells
It almost feels like you are disagreeing merely for the joy of being disagreeable.
right back at you. this is a + thread, please add something to the discussion instead of argueing

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
FWIW, this is how I see the break-down:

WIZARD
  1. Spellcasting
  2. Ritual Spells*
  3. Arcane Recovery
  4. ASI (x5)
  5. Arcane Tradition Feature (x5)
  6. Spell Mastery**
  7. Signature Spell***

NOTES: * Although part of Spellcasting, it is different from other Ritual Spells, allowing Wizards to cast spells without preparing them. IMO this makes it powerful enough to be a separate feature from Spellcasting.

** At-will 1st- AND 2nd-level spells could be counted separately.

*** Two extra 3rd-level slots IMO could be counted separately.

COUNT: Depending on how you count those options, you have 15-17 features.

FIGHTER
  1. Fighting Style
  2. Second Wind
  3. Action Surge
  4. Martial Archetype (x5)
  5. ASI (x7)
  6. Extra Attack
  7. Indomitable
COUNT: 17 features.

By my count (anyway) they are fairly even...

UNLESS...

If you want to count access to each spell level (9 in total) instead of 1 (spellcasting), then I would also at least count Extra Attack as 3 instead of 1, but either way the Wizards jump to 23-25 vs. the Fighter at 19. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads