What Does Your Favorite RPG Do Best?

Falstaff

First Post
HackMaster!

Why? Lots and lots of reasons, but to name a few: the second-by-second combat, the fact that nothing is free but must instead be earned, characters start out normal but through clever play and determination can become heroes, opposed rolls, the Hacklopedia of Beasts, the way the Paladin class is designed, quirks and flaws, etc., etc.

Also, if you're looking for a new RPG to try, you can try HackMaster Basic for free: Kenzer & Company

I hope you like it!

SLOTHmaster

First Post
Chronicle System by Green Ronin, as currently implemented by ASoIaF RPG (generic supplements on the horizon)

Big draws:
- an intrigue/social resolution system that offers a back-and-forth as interesting as combat

That sounds interesting. Mind giving some detail on how that works?

Agamon

Adventurer
Adventurer Conqueror King System. And what it does best is economy. Building castles, running domains, starting a guild, hiring henchmen and hirelings, setting up trade routes, creating weird creatures, or even creating your own dungeon to harvest monster parts for spell research and magic item creation. I think all that is pretty cool, and my players agree.

Cor Azer

First Post
That sounds interesting. Mind giving some detail on how that works?

ahem... I will refrain from prosthelytizing too much :)

[sblock=To avoid appearance of hijack]In short, combat and intrigue work in a very similar way - you have both a Health and a Composure total. Lose all your Health, you are defeated in combat (not necessarily death). Lose all your Composure, you are defeated in intrigue (outcome depending on foe's objective).

Combat has two main types of attacks - Fighting (anything melee) and Marksmanship (anything ranged). Intrigue also has two main types of "attacks" - Persuasion (offering truthful and compelling statements) and Deception (offering lies or misleading statements).

Both combat and intrigue are divided into rounds (although Intrigues call them exchanges, and they may take place over days rather than the 6 seconds or so of combat), and initiative is rolled to determine action order (based on Agility for combat and social Status for intrigue).

Combat has weapons (for attacking) and armor (reduces damage to health). Intrigue has techniques (for attacking) and dispositions (reducing "damage" to composure).

Techniques include bargain (ie, offer to trade services and/or money), convince (use logical arguments), charm (smiling sweetly), intimidate (nuff said), taunt (get someone angry enough at you to act rashly), incite (get someone angry enough at someone else to act rashly against them), and seduce (get some... or make someone think they'll get some). Just as someone can be better or worse with some weapons, they can be better or worse at some techniques. You can change your technique each "round" of an intrigue.

Dispositions rate how friendly you are - going from affectionate to malicious. "Nicer" dispositions give you bonuses to use Persuasion, but penalties to use Deception, and reduce "damage" to Composure very little. "Meaner" dispositions give penalties to Persuasion, bonuses to Deception, and reduce "damage" to Composure by a fair amount. Unlike armor though, you can have different dispositions towards different folks at the same time (so you can be affectionate with your child without your nemesis taking advantage of your "niceness"), and you can gradually change it during an intrigue.

Actions in combat include attacking, moving, distracting, aiming, etc... In each round of combat, you get 2 lesser actions or 1 greater action. Actions in an intrigue include influencing (the "attack"), reading the target (gauging their disposition and technique), withdrawing (ie, staying aloof to raise your defense, rather than the combatesque "retreat" style withdraw), fast talking (reducing your opponent's defense), or using Shield of Reputation to improve your opponent's disposition (essentially, you may not like me, but I am the Lord of this keep, so treat me with respect). During each exchange of an intrigue, you get 1 action.

Players get a bit of narrative control on how their characters are harmed in both. Whenever a character takes damage that reduces their Health, they may take injuries or wounds to reduce the damage either a little bit or completely at the cost of a -1 penalty or a penalty dice respectively to all checks. Whenever a character takes influence that reduces their Composure, they may take frustration to reduce the effect at the cost of a penalty dice on further checks. In short - you keep your Health and/or Composure from reaching 0 (which is when you get defeated), but it gets harder and harder for you to succeed at your own checks.

If you are defeated in combat, the victor chooses your fate in most cases - it could be death, but other possibilities are unconsciousness, ransom, and maiming. Some weapons are so vicious that death is the only option. That said, there is a rather significant mechanic/resource call Destiny that characters have, and a defeated character can burn one of his Destiny to choose his own fate after being defeated, rather than leaving it to his opponent.

The big thing an intrigue has that a combat doesn't is an explicitly stated objective for each participant. These can still be vague, but still frame the character's goal. Examples include: I want to know what he knows about subject X, I want to get a good deal on this used suit of armor, I want him to attack me because he'll get arrested.

If you defeat a foe in an intrigue, your objective comes to pass (within the bounds of possibility). It's not mind-control, mind you, and the person may try to recant later, or sabotage your actions, etc... Depending on the technique you used, longer-lasting effects may occur (using taunt makes their disposition towards you worse and if it hits "malicious" then they attack you, using seduce makes their disposition towards you better and if it hits "affectionate" they are willing to give it up to you... but every day after that it worsens by one as they feel shame for giving in so easily).[/sblock]

And, because it never really hurts to prosthelytize :) Here's the link to the free, fast-play version of the rules: http://grfiles.game-host.org/gr_files/SiF_Fastplay.pdf

griffonwing

First Post
HackMaster!

Why? Lots and lots of reasons, but to name a few: the second-by-second combat, the fact that nothing is free but must instead be earned, characters start out normal but through clever play and determination can become heroes, opposed rolls, the Hacklopedia of Beasts, the way the Paladin class is designed, quirks and flaws, etc., etc.

Also, if you're looking for a new RPG to try, you can try HackMaster Basic for free: Kenzer & Company

I hope you like it!

I second HackMaster (new edition).

What does it do better than other systems?

Combat

1) second by second combat
--- You arent locked into rounds or turns. It doesnt take minutes until your its your turn to play. Combat doesnt take a couple hours to complete, even WITH full combat rules.

2) many optional/advanced/crunchy maneuvers
--- jabbing, holding at bay, fleeing, tactical retreat, aggressive attack, charging, ready against charge, full parry, giving ground, scambering back, fighting withdrawal, knockback rules, rear attacks, called shots, fatigue rules.

Even with all of these in place, Combat normally takes less than half the time of Pathfinder or 3.5. In many cases, a quarter of the time. And everyone is always active in the combat. Even a simple fight against a kobold group can play out like a john woo film.

3) weapon speed
---All weapons have their own speed, so a dagger attacks faster than a longsword. You can specialize in weaposn, lowering the speed even more, until you reach the minimal weapon speed.

3) opposed rolls
--- Both attackers and defenders roll. With penetrating dice (if you roll max on die, roll the die again, and subtract 1 form the score, continue rolling until non-max is rolled) it is possible that your 1st level fighter can kill an orc. However, its also feasable that your 5th level party could be slaughtered by a few kobolds. This keeps the monsters in the campaign for longer periods, instead of having to introduce more powerful enemies every 2 levels.

Spell Casting -- Vancian Casting + Spell Points

--- There are spell levels for each level of mage. 5th level mage casts 5th level spells. 1st level mage memorizes 3 spells...1 from 1st level, plus 1 apprentice and 1 journeyman. 5st level mage memorizes 7 spells. Non memorized spells cost double to cast.

Armor and Shields

1) Armor
--- Armor makes you easier to hit (common sense), but reduces the damage you take (again, common sense).

2) Shields
--- Using a shield almost guarantee you getting hit. Using a shield, you are actively saying "I will let this attack hit my shield" meaning, you are going to get hit. However, it adds to your damage reduction, and the attacks must penetrate the shield in order to do any damage to you. With penetrating damage, its possible that your shield could get obliterated and destroyed, and any blowthru damage could get you.

And last..

Also, a d10,000 critical hit/fumble table. Sure, double damage is nice, but how cool would it be to slice a tendon, sever an ear, chop off a toe, or even instantly kill!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The actual, truly best RPG in actual play over any length of time...

Most versions of D&D at mid level

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know that I have a favorite RPG. I do have an RPG that produced my favorite campaign - Mage: the Ascension. It has the best magic system around (which, in the hands of a GM who doesn't know what he's doing, is also the worst - that's part of its appeal), which does an awesome job of covering many different styles of magical practitioner under one framework - an in this case, I don't mean mechanical styles, but belief styles. Two different characters, who believe fundamentally different things about how magic works, using the same system.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That was actually one of the things that drew me to- and disappointed me about- the WoD games.

Like I said, I love HERO. I can do exactly what you described there. So when I saw the WoD games, I saw that you could do the same...unless you wanted to mix Mage with Vampire with Werewolf with Changeling with...

They use essentially the same system...but with tweaks that make them somewhat incompatible. Were they 100% compatible, I was looking to use the various WoD games to run a campaign set in Imagica- they would have been PERFECT! (In fairness, Mage gets you 85% of what you need for Imagica, but the others would let you either complete the picture or expand it beyond Barker's presented boundaries.)

Doesn't stop 'em from being fun as hell individually, though!

Last edited:

Razjah

Explorer
I'm a huge fan of Burning Wheel. The Gold edition is only $25, less if you shop around online, and I really love how it challenges the players.

The lifepaths and mechanics really challenge the players to make hard decisions for their characters and throw them into jeopardy to advance skills. It has mechanics for buying things (with out coin counting); finding friends, enemies, allies, and people who owe you a favor (or the reverse); having a social conflict beyond "I use [insert social skill]"; a super easy combat mechanic when the fight isn't something dramatic to the story, and a much more robust fighting system if you want a gritty and highly dangerous medieval combat; and it is a character driven game.

To GM you basically use the party's BITs to get them into trouble. You need a powerful situation and everything else works out in play.

The best part for me is that it drives role playing. The players make beliefs, instincts, and traits for their characters and are rewarded for playing to those BITs. Using them to cause problems for a character, solve something, stand ground against a friend or foe, and lots of other things. It actually rewards playing a person full of contradictions like most human.

A really unimportant reason, but nice, is the dice pool really makes big decisions with a lot of dice rolled actually feel more important. Rolling a single die with a lot of modifiers is nice. Rolling 12 dice to convince the king that his queen is betraying him is awesome for people who are new to rpgs.

steenan

Adventurer
I don't have a single favorite game, but I have a few that I love, each for a different reason.

Dogs in the Vineyard
- the game is not about succeeding or not - it is about choosing what you want and how far you're going to go to get it
- mechanics that really supports the main focus of the game
- a setting that feels familiar and exotic at the same time
- the book clearly describes how the game should be played (something that's missing in a lot of games)
- one can be a fanatical teenager with a gun - and it's completely different than what this sentence suggest

Mouse Guard
- the best heroic fantasy I know (where "heroism" means "doing what is right even when it's hard and dangerous", not "winning and looking cool")
- failure makes play more interesting (brings in complications and twists) instead of stopping it cold; system is not biased towards PC succcess
- beliefs, instincts and goals help in presenting character's individuality and reward it mechanically
- fun conflict mechanics that make combat feel chaotic while still allowing for tactics (there are minor mathematical problems with it, though)

Nobilis
- handles extremely powerful characters without balance problems or making challenges trivial
- system with no random component - and it does not make it too predictable
- mechanical support for long-term plans and making changes in global scale in a way that makes it interesting
- redefining reality as the core game mechanics
- a game where abstract philosophy feeds directly into extreme cinematic action
- love is explicitly prohibited for PCs - and always becomes a strong theme in play despite (or maybe because of) this prohibition

Remove ads