D&D General What editions of Dungeons & Dragons do you like?

What edition of Dungeons & Dragons do you like (choose all that apply)

• 1st Edition

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • 2nd Edition

Votes: 85 56.3%
  • 3rd Edition

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • 3.5 Edition

Votes: 77 51.0%
  • 4th Edition

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • 5th Edition

Votes: 124 82.1%
  • Other (spin-off, please explain)

Votes: 49 32.5%

Shiroiken

Legend
I'd say 5E is by far the best edition. I grew up with and played both AD&D during childhood, so they'll always have a place in my heard. I liked 3E and 4E initially, but they had fundamental flaws that I just couldn't overlook.

While I wasn't a huge fan of it, BECMI really should have been included. It's technically the longest running edition of the game.

Weiley31

Legend
I mostly want to take the pieces I like from the editions I've played and slap them onto 5e.

I know! It's just so frustrating that The High Council of Gaming prevents us from doing that.
I'm pretty much doing this with Pathfinder 1st Edition/3.5 by slapping some 5E esque House Rules into it.

aco175

Legend
A lot of the games, mostly in older editions depended on house rules to make them work better for every home game. I do not know many people that played 2e with death was at 0HP and not -10. Even 5e has had some older house rules creep in over the last few years.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
While I wasn't a huge fan of it, BECMI really should have been included. It's technically the longest running edition of the game.
It's not quite the longest-running edition, but it's very close.

BECMI began with Frank Mentzer's Basic Set (the "B" in "BECMI"), which, presuming I have my dates correct, came out on May 1st, 1983. After this, the absolute latest I can find a BECMI-compatible product coming out from TSR is Troy Denning's The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game: Epic Adventures with Wizards, Dragons, and Magic!, which came out on either May 2nd or May 4th, 1994 (I've seen conflicting listings). So BECMI lasted almost exactly eleven years.

(If you don't count that introductory boxed set as the ending point, then the last BECMI product would be the Poor Wizard's Almanac II, published on December 1st, 1993.)

By contrast, the AD&D 2E Player's Handbook came out in February of 1989, with the Dungeon Master's Guide following in May of the same year and the MC1 Monstrous Compendium Volume One following in June (I can't find exact release dates). Since the last AD&D 2E product was Die Vecna Die! (June, 2000), that means that if you start counting from when the PHB was released, AD&D 2E just barely edges out BECMI by a few months.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
<snip>I'd be hard-pressed to ever play 2E or AD&D again because I find the negative AC system to be too much of a roadblock to any sort of enjoyment. 3E cleaned up just so much rules kludge that I just wouldn't be able to go that far back anymore.
I should clarify that I play Rules Cyclopedia mostly with my 7yo and occasionally my neighbor or their kid. I replaced the combat matrix and AC system with an ascending AC and hit bonus system derived from it's numbers.

So even though my 7yo can add (and subtract) negative numbers, I decided to make it easier on everyone.

Frankly, changing that matrix is less impactful of a house rule than many I've employed.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I've liked all the editions od D&D that I've played (which includes every edition except OD&D, Holmes BD&D, B/X BD&D, and 4e D&D). There are some that I look back upon less favorably (like 3.5), but I'd play any edition given the right group of people.

Remove ads