D&D General What editions of Dungeons & Dragons do you like?

What edition of Dungeons & Dragons do you like (choose all that apply)

• 1st Edition

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • 2nd Edition

Votes: 85 56.3%
  • 3rd Edition

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • 3.5 Edition

Votes: 77 51.0%
  • 4th Edition

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • 5th Edition

Votes: 124 82.1%
  • Other (spin-off, please explain)

Votes: 49 32.5%

I liked them all. But 3ed and 3.xed are too close in my mind to be different editions. The 3.xed is the correction of 3ed. So they're one and the same for me.

But where is BECMI? That edition was fun. We had a BECMI campaign going side by side with a 1ed campaign.
Although I love 5ed, I play 1ed and BECMI in a heartbeat.

oreofox

Explorer
All the ones I've played. I may have played a game of 1e, but it was a single session 25 years ago that I don't even count it. So I checked all but 1e and 4e. Pathfinder 1e... I like it overall, but the type of people that played it ruined that edition for me. Too many people focused just on numbers made me quit. I think that's why I enjoy 5e so much. It came out at the perfect time for me, as my final game of Pathfinder happened in 2014, a couple months before 5e released.

I've thrown around the idea of merging AD&D and 5e (mostly taking the ability scores of AD&D and slapping them onto 5e)

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm not really fond of any editions of D&D proper; I respect what 4e was doing though don't really like its effect, and while I liked OD&D and 3e at the time they came out, within a couple of years their limits (OD&D) and problems (3e) had put me off.

I do fairly well like PF2e, and think there's some real virtues to 13th Age and Shadow of the Demon Lord.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
It's not quite the longest-running edition, but it's very close.

BECMI began with Frank Mentzer's Basic Set (the "B" in "BECMI"), which, presuming I have my dates correct, came out on May 1st, 1983. After this, the absolute latest I can find a BECMI-compatible product coming out from TSR is Troy Denning's The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game: Epic Adventures with Wizards, Dragons, and Magic!, which came out on either May 2nd or May 4th, 1994 (I've seen conflicting listings). So BECMI lasted almost exactly eleven years.

(If you don't count that introductory boxed set as the ending point, then the last BECMI product would be the Poor Wizard's Almanac II, published on December 1st, 1993.)

By contrast, the AD&D 2E Player's Handbook came out in February of 1989, with the Dungeon Master's Guide following in May of the same year and the MC1 Monstrous Compendium Volume One following in June (I can't find exact release dates). Since the last AD&D 2E product was Die Vecna Die! (June, 2000), that means that if you start counting from when the PHB was released, AD&D 2E just barely edges out BECMI by a few months.

I would count Tom Moldvay's Basic Set as the starting point. (Just to give one example of why, prior to 1981, the original/basic D&D elf is a fighting man up to 4th level/magic-user up to 8th level; whereas from 1981 onward, the elf is a character class that goes up to 10th level. That doesn't change from Moldvay/Cook to Mentzer to Denning/Allston.) Since the last compatible product for this version of the game was the 1996 re-release of the Classic D&D Game, that means that Basic/Expert/Classic D&D was in print for fifteen years. Blows every other edition out of the water.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Liked all but one of the D&D editions and spin-offs I played. Would rank those as:
PF1e > 3.5/3 > 5e > 2e > 1e > B/X > 13th Age
If I'm picking one to play/run now it's going to be PF1e or 5e.

Turgenev

Hero
I would have to go with BECM/RC D&D, 1st edition AD&D (I do use some 2nd edition stuff but I prefer 1st edition over 2nd), and 5th edition. While I've played 2nd edition AD&D and 3.0,they are far from being my favourite.

Cheers,
Tim

Volund

Explorer
5e because it's the most accessible for people, so it's easy to find folks willing to join a one-shot or a new campaign. 1e for the nostalgia of playing through classic TSR and Judges Guild adventures, and because it was the closest match for B/X since that wasn't one of the options. In truth, the more I play OSE, the more I just want to play that and not 5e.

MGibster

Legend
While I'd rather use a cheese grater to remove scabs from a festering wound on the bottom of my foot than go back and play AD&D, I have at one time enjoyed every edition of D&D except for 4th edition. I have fond memories of playing Ravenloft with AD&D 1st edition, running games in the golden era of 2nd Edition settings with Dark Sun, Ravenloft, and Al Qadim, and what a refreshing breath of air D&D 3E was (even with that stupid double bladed sword) since by 2000 it had been 4+ years since I got rid of all my TSR stuff.

I played a brief campaign of 4E and utterly despised the system. The only nice thing I can say about it is that they did a great job making sure every class was useful during an encounter. No mean feat. But I felt like I was playing World of Warcraft.

Remove ads