D&D General What elements should D&D keep? forums vs. Reddit

I'm bothered to see that keeping lists of specific spells proved more popular than keeping lists of specific equipment.

It seems that some people seem to like the idea of radically simplifying the weapons and armour lists, sometimes even to the point of including only categories of light/medium/heavy armour and using these as catch-alls for all armour types. And we've certainly seen the weapon list considerably stripped down since the old AD&D days.

But one almost never sees a call to radically simplify the spell lists. We still see an enormous chunk of most players' handbooks taken up with spell descriptions for dozens and dozens of tedious pages. I get the feeling that this choice reflects an unconscious favoritism towards spellcasters on the part of the game designers.

I don't think it's fair that half of the book is given over to super-detailed descriptions of the spellcasters' toys, while those of the warriors are kept down to one or two pages. I like having lots and lots of interesting and mechanically distinct choices for my characters' weapons and armours; maybe we don't need all the polearm types AD&D had, but I did like the distinction between, say, the "broadsword" and longsword.

What if we applied the same perspective often taken on the weapons and armour lists to the spell lists? i.e. maybe we can stuff spells into simple, broad categories of deals damage/inflicts status effect/has out-of-combat use, etc. What, after all, is the real difference between the effects of most of these spells in terms of game mechanics other than flavor text?

Alternately, equal space should be given to lavish descriptions of weapons and armour, and numerous rules associated with each individual type, thus equalizing the time, space, and effort that tools and toys of each of the class types. It would be nice if future editions would make such an effort.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I'm bothered to see that keeping lists of specific spells proved more popular than keeping lists of specific equipment.

It seems that some people seem to like the idea of radically simplifying the weapons and armour lists, sometimes even to the point of including only categories of light/medium/heavy armour and using these as catch-alls for all armour types. And we've certainly seen the weapon list considerably stripped down since the old AD&D days.

But one almost never sees a call to radically simplify the spell lists. We still see an enormous chunk of most players' handbooks taken up with spell descriptions for dozens and dozens of tedious pages. I get the feeling that this choice reflects an unconscious favoritism towards spellcasters on the part of the game designers.

I don't think it's fair that half of the book is given over to super-detailed descriptions of the spellcasters' toys, while those of the warriors are kept down to one or two pages. I like having lots and lots of interesting and mechanically distinct choices for my characters' weapons and armours; maybe we don't need all the polearm types AD&D had, but I did like the distinction between, say, the "broadsword" and longsword.

What if we applied the same perspective often taken on the weapons and armour lists to the spell lists? i.e. maybe we can stuff spells into simple, broad categories of deals damage/inflicts status effect/has out-of-combat use, etc. What, after all, is the real difference between the effects of most of these spells in terms of game mechanics other than flavor text?

Alternately, equal space should be given to lavish descriptions of weapons and armour, and numerous rules associated with each individual type, thus equalizing the time, space, and effort that tools and toys of each of the class types. It would be nice if future editions would make such an effort.
yeah, I get you, kind of want weapons done better.
everything is spell caster hours and you get sick of it sooner or later.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Not sure how you’re adding 2+2 and getting that bushel of potatoes.

The results were tabulated by importance and I just said the question asked in the poll doesn’t speak to the importance of each point. Just it’s frequency.

It was intended as a really simple comment about inferring information from polls that isn’t there. Really don’t understand all the pushback on the feedback. I would think it’s a really uncontroversial point.
Heh... its because you didn't make a simple comment... you made five. Five "simple comments" one right after the other to rebut everything JEB had to say regarding his poll. As though it was really important that you get your point across that his poll had issues in your opinion.

That's where my bushel of potatoes came from... wondering what exactly was the point. ;)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Heh... its because you didn't make a simple comment... you made five. Five "simple comments" one right after the other to rebut everything JEB had to say regarding his poll. As though it was really important that you get your point across that his poll had issues in your opinion.

That's where my bushel of potatoes came from... wondering what exactly was the point. ;)
It seems that @TheSword has professional experience with polling, and felt like sharing some pro tips.

The whole exercise seems like a lot of work tog etc junk data.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It could mean that people are fine with things like "Explorer's Pack" and "Scholar's Pack" rather than having to go shopping for each individual canteen, crowbar, and iron ration.

Personally, I wasn't too sure what was meant by "lists of <whatever>," so I didn't check any of those. Like, I didn't know if that meant "this is a list of Sorcerer spells and this is a list of Bard spells" or something else entirely.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I'm always surprised to see Saving Throws so high on the list.

Were Saving Throws a thing before 3e?
I am actually surprised they are not in the top tier. Saving Throws (in some form or other) have been in the game since at least the Holmes Basic Set (not 100% sure about the original D&D booklets, but I imagine they were there, too).

Since obviously no one else is going to say it...

Thank you OP. That was probably a fair amount of effort and work to do for our benefit, and I appreciate it.

TheSword

Legend

Ok. Fair enough. It was actually the same point in different variations to try and explain what I meant as the rational seem to be rejected. I felt I was being polite though, and whilst it was criticism, I had hoped it would be taken constructively.

I actually find these kinds of surveys really interesting and just want to see them improve. One of the way of that is not to confuse how widespread a feeling is, with how strongly it’s felt. That way lies disappointment in any number of surveys. Particularly in an age of popularism.

Im always reminded of the polling episode
of the West Wing. Where 86% of Americans are against flag burning, they just don’t care about it enough to affect an election.

Remove ads