• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Empowered value gets multiplied?

Marshall

First Post
apsuman said:
The +1 per caster level is really no different than the 1d6 per caster level that sorcerers get for shocking grasp.

Ahh, but there's the rub. +1/CL is a fixed benefit, Empower does nothing for it. No "random variable", no dice. <pun intended>

The cleric can maxes out at +5, the sorcerer maxes out at 5d6, both are level dependent.

Empower wouldn't do jack for the +1/CL, but it will multiply the 1d6 * 1.5. Carrying that further, the d4+1 in MM is all part of the same random variable. Wheras the d8 + CL in CLW is a random variable + a fixed value.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Marshall said:
Wheras the d8 + CL in CLW is a random variable + a fixed value.

The variable numeric effect is 'the amount of damage healed'.

What's the amount of damage healed? 1d8 + CL.

What's Empowered? The variable numeric effect. Which is 1d8 + CL.

-Hyp.

rkanodia

First Post
Hypersmurf, Nail, Patryn, and others, I'm sorry, but you clearly just don't get it. Obviously, the correct usage of Empower Spell is the underpowered, more complicated one, which relies on a dubious interpretation of the feat's mechanical description and clearly conflicts its plain-English description and the given example. :p

rkanodia said:
Hypersmurf, Nail, Patryn, and others, I'm sorry, but you clearly just don't get it. Obviously, the correct usage of Empower Spell is the underpowered, more complicated one, which relies on a dubious interpretation of the feat's mechanical description and clearly conflicts its plain-English description and the given example. :p

Woe is me, I am a poor ruleslawyer... :D

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Off Topic:
I'm curious to hear Hypersmurf's theory on ally's in regard to the Bless spell...

On Topic:

no thoughts on this, as none of my players have ever taken a metamagic feat. Some great rules interpretations here though!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nyarlathotep said:
Off Topic:
I'm curious to hear Hypersmurf's theory on ally's in regard to the Bless spell...

Well, the problem is that it's not actually defined anywhere what constitutes an 'ally' or an 'enemy'...

-Hyp.

Remove ads